Four Barons Named to 2012 Southern League All-Star TeamJune 6, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
The All-Star selection is the first for Mitchell who is in his fourth season out of Louisiana State University. In his first season with the Barons, Mitchell is hitting .296 (58-for-196) with four home runs, 32 runs scored and 37 RBI. Mitchell leads the Southern League in triples (9) and on-base percentage (.420) while ranking second in walks (38), fourth in RBI, fifth in total bases (99) and seventh in average. The former first round selection (23rd overall) by the White Sox in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft missed all of the 2010 season after suffering an ankle injury in Spring Training. Mitchell entered the 2012 season ranked by Baseball America as the Best Athlete in the White Sox organization.
Barons' catcher Damaso Espino will be making his second-career Minor League All-Star appearance having previously been named to the Gulf Coast League post-season All-Star team while with the Gulf Coast League Reds in 2002. In his 13th professional season and first with the Barons, Espino is hitting .286 (42-for-147) with 16 runs scored and 13 RBI while throwing out 44% (17-39) of potential base stealers. Espino was signed by the White Sox organization as a free agent prior to the 2012 season. The White Sox are the fourth organization for Espino, having previously spent time with the Cincinnati Red, Kansas City Royals and Cleveland Indians.
In his sixth professional season, Hernandez will be making his second Minor League All-Star appearance in two years and first with the Barons, having been named to the California League All-Star team last season as a member of Lake Elsinore Storm. Hernandez spent the previous five seasons with the San Diego Padres organization before being acquired by the White Sox in the off-season trade that sent outfielder Carlos Quentin to the Padres. In ten starts with the Barons this season, Hernandez is 7-2 with a 2.91 ERA (19 ER/58.2 IP) with 31 strikeouts. Hernandez leads the Barons in wins and ERA among starting pitchers. He is tied for second in the Southern League in wins and ranks eighth in ERA.
The All-Star selection is the first for Quintana who is in his seventh professional season and first with the Barons. Quintana spent the previous four seasons with the Yankees organization before being signed as a free agent by the White Sox in the off-season. In nine starts with the Barons before being promoted to Charlotte, Quintana was 1-3 with a 2.77 ERA (15 ER/48.2 IP) with 41 strikeouts. At the time of his promotion, Quintana ranked seventh in the Southern League in ERA.
Players were selected by a vote of Southern League field managers, radio broadcasters, general managers and print media. The 2012 All-Star Game will be played on June 19 at Smokies Park in Kodak, TN.
Birmingham Barons tickets are currently available on the web, over the phone or by visiting the Regions Park Box Office. For ticket information, game schedule, or promotions calendar, call (205) 988-3200 or visit www.barons.com, www.facebook.com/birminghambarons or on Twitter: @bhambarons.
Southern League Stories from June 6, 2012
- Comeback Falls Short in Series Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Struggle in Clutch in 3-2 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Patient Smokies Hold off Biscuits to Win Series - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Fall in Pitchers Duel to M-Braves - Huntsville Stars
- Hale Wins Pitchers Duel for M-Braves 1-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Lead North Division with Seven All-Stars Named - Jackson Generals
- Five Lookouts Selected to Represent North Division in the Southern League All-Star Game - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Top Lookouts, 7-4 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Maurer Plus Sams' Grand Salami Give Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Four Barons Named to 2012 Southern League All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Five Stars Selected to Southern League All-Star Team - Huntsville Stars
- D-Backs Award Elmore and Gorgen with Monthly Honors - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Land Four on Southern League All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Coaching Staffs, Umpires Announced for 2012 All-Star Game - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Game Information (Wednesday, June 6) - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.