Slammers Drop Series Finale 13-5June 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
The Wild Things scored early and often, getting underway in the top of the first inning. Allen Boyer led off the game and reached on an error, and came around to score with two outs on a Michael Bando RBI double.
Joliet bounced back in the home half with a three run inning. Ben Hewett and Abel Nieves both singled to reach base, followed by RBI base hits from Hector Pellot and Erik Lis to take the lead. Zach Mandelblatt then grounded into a double play, but brought home Pellot in the process, making it 3-1 after one inning.
Washington answered with another run in the second. Mitch Dening walked and Michael Mooney reached on Joliet's second error, putting runners on the corners. Robbie Garvey then popped up a sacrifice fly, scoring Dening from third. The Slammers had a run of their own in the second when Nieves brought in Brad Netzel on a single, taking a 4-2 lead.
The Wild Things went on to score 11 unanswered runs with three runs in the third, two in the fourth, and six in a disastrous fifth inning for the Slammers. In those three innings, Washington compiled nine hits and Joliet committed two more errors. The lowlights included a Mitch Dening three-run homer, RBIs from Shane Stoner in back-to-back innings, and in the fifth, three consecutive at-bats that produced runs for Washington.
Joliet scored their final run in the seventh when Erik Lis brought home Abel Nieves.
The Slammers get a pair of off-days to rest up Monday and Tuesday before hitting the road for a five-game swing to Crestwood and Canada later in the week against the ThunderBolts and Rippers.
Fans can listen live on AM 1340 WJOL with Aaron Morse calling the action, online at www.wjol.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 3, 2012
- Evansville Holds on in 16-11 Slugfest at River City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Give up 16; Comeback Falls Short - River City Rascals
- Florence Tops CornBelters in 10 - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Sweep Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
- Despite Season High 14 Hits Boomers Swept in Southern Illinois - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Drop Home Series to Beach Bums - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers leave 11 on base as Windy City takes Rubber Match, 7-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Power Past Grizzlies to Close out Road Trip - Traverse City Beach Bums
- RiverHawks Shut Down in Finale - Rockford RiverHawks
- ThunderBolts Host IHSA Super-Sectional Doubleheader on Monday - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rippers Win First Series in Blowout - London Rippers
- Washington Slams Door on Joliet, Wins 13-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Drop Series Finale 13-5 - Joliet Slammers
- June 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.