Cedar Rapids Outlasts RattlersJune 1, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
Cedar Rapids (25-30) took the lead with two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Trevor Hairgrove walked with one out. Kaleb Cowart tripled in Hairgrove and would score on a sacrifice fly to left by Frazier Hall.
Wisconsin (34-21) responded in the top of the second as Kernels starter Dan Reynolds walked three in the inning. Brandon Macias doubled in a pair of runs to tie the game.
Then, the Kernels scored a bushel of runs in the bottom of the second. The first seven batters of the inning reached and all seven would score. Two singles and a walk loaded the bases against Wisconsin starting pitcher Will West. A walk to Wendell Soto, the number nine batter in the order, forced in the first run of the inning.
Consecutive singles by Kevin Moesquit and Hairgorve would score a run to make the score 5-2 and keep the bases loaded. Cowart knocked West out of the game with a two run single to center for a 7-2 advantage.
Reliever Kevin Shackelford did not fare much better. Hall made the score 8-2 with his second sacrifice fly of the game. Matt Scioscia followed with an RBI single to cap the scoring in the inning.
Hairgrove made it 10-2 with a run on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the third.
Wisconsin rallied for three runs in the top of the fifth inning. The bases were loaded and Greg Hopkins scored from third on a passed ball. Yadiel Rivera knocked in the other two runners with a double.
The Rattlers loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh inning and got a run on a sacrifice fly Rivera to make the score 10-6. But, that was it.
Cedar Rapids loaded the bases with no outs against Jacob Barnes in the bottom of the seventh inning. Barnes got the first out on a line drive to second. Cowart was next and sent a deep fly ball to centerfield. Chadwin Stang made a fine running catch as the runner from third tagged and scored. But, Stang appeared to have lost track of the outs and kept running with the ball. That allowed the runner at second, who was tagging to go to third, to just keep running and score the second run on the sacrifice fly.
Wisconsin would rally for three runs in the top of the eighth. Hopkins knocked in the first run with a sacrifice fly. Then, Nick Ramirez and Cameron Garfield had consecutive run scoring doubles and the Kernels lead was down to three runs.
But, the Kernels would come back with two more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning on an RBI single by Gary Mitchell and a run scoring error.
Wisconsin had no comebacks left in the ninth and went down in order.
The Timber Rattlers begin the final leg of their 13-day road trip on Saturday night when they face the Beloit Snappers at Pohlman Field. Matt Miller (3-4, 3.79) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Beloit will put Matt Summers (4-3, 3.99) on the mound. Start time for game one of this key series is 7:00pm.
The three game series at Pohlman Field is key because Beloit trails the Timber Rattlers by one game in the Midwest Leagues Western Division. The Snappers won the final two games of their series at Quad Cities before heading home to face Wisconsin. The Rattlers dropped the final two games of their series at Cedar Rapids.
Tune in for the broadcast of game one on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:40pm.
Midwest League Stories from June 1, 2012
- TinCaps Sweep Friday Doubleheader - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels win slugfest over Wisconsin, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers Break Away Early to Down River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Split Doubleheader with Cougars - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Can't Sweep, Lose 8-6 to Chiefs - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Pound out 16 Hits, Race Past Dragons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Cedar Rapids Outlasts Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall to South Bend 11-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Hold on for 8-6 Friday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Win Twice, Take Series from Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods take two from Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Split Pair in Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Snap Five Game Skid in 8-7 Win - Lake County Captains
- Former Indians Catcher Duke Sims Added to Cleveland Sports History Night - Lake County Captains
- Bandits Scholars Program Adds Second Scholarship - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday for June 1 - Dayton Dragons
- Espinal Activated - Kane County Cougars
- Walsh Named Cardinals Minor League Player of the Month - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps to Host Major League Baseball Tryout - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Back Home June 6 Through June 11 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.