River Bandits' Offense Held in Check by BeloitMay 31, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
Gruver (4-4) allowed a leadoff first inning home run to Virgil Hill, and then set down the next 14 Quad Cities' batters in order before a single by Roberto De La Cruz with two outs in the fifth ended the streak. In all, the left-hander allowed just five hits, three of which came with two outs in an inning.
Beloit (32-22) scored one run in the top of the first when third baseman Miguel Sano doubled to center field, scoring right fielder J.D. Williams, who drew a walk to lead off the game, and later advanced on a passed ball by Juan Castillo.
With the game tied 1-1 in the third, the Snappers scored two more times on a two-run home run by second baseman Eddie Rosario off Quad Cities' left-hander Dail Villanueva (3-3). Villanueva pitched five innings and allowed two earned runs on four hits, striking out six and walking a career-high five.
River Bandits' reliever Robert Stock came on in relief in the sixth and allowed a two-run home run to Beloit catcher Matthew Koch. All of Koch's three home runs this season have come off Quad Cities' pitching.
The Snappers scored one more run in the seventh inning off Stock and two in the ninth off left-hander Danny Miranda. Two of those three runs came on RBI singles by Beloit first baseman Adam Bryant, who went 2-for-5 with two runs batted in.
Quad Cities (27-27) remain seven games behind first-place Wisconsin in the Western Division. Colin Walsh went 0-for-4, snapping a 22-game on-base streak - the longest by a River Bandits' player this season.
Beloit and Quad Cities conclude the series Friday night at 7:00 p.m. Left-hander Hector Hernandez (4-3) will start for Quad Cities and left-hander Jason Wheeler (6-1) will start for Beloit.
Midwest League Stories from May 31, 2012
- Another Late Homer Lifts Bees - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits' Offense Held in Check by Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Blank Wisconsin, 4-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Aguila's long ball not enough in 8-7 loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Rally in 9th, Earn Walk-Off Win 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods, Lugnuts Suspended on Thursday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Quiet Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts/Hot Rods Suspended in the 5th Due to Rain - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Thursday on 7th Inning Homer - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons, TinCaps Rained Out - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps and Loons Postponed on Thursday Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars, LumberKings Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings & Cougars Washed Out - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps Rally Late, Win 7-6 - Lake County Captains
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: June 2-8 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for May 31 - Dayton Dragons
- Bark in the Park Is Back at Community Field - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.