Fisher Cats Blast Past B-Mets, 8-2May 26, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Binghamton Mets
Before the offense erupted for New Hampshire, the B-Mets held an early lead against starter Brett Cecil in the first. Sean Kazmar started the rally with a single to right and took second when Josh Rodriguez walked. Jefry Marte brought Kazmar home by lacing the first pitch he saw into center for an RBI single.
After two rocky outings against the Fisher Cats, B-Mets starter Greg Peavey got off to strong start in his third game against the club. The righty needed just 24 pitches to retire the first nine Fisher Cats to start the game.
The stretch ended in the fourth when Ryan Goins led off the inning with a single. Goins was thrown out at third by catcher Juan Centeno trying to swipe the bag, but Brian Van Kirk kept the inning alive with a two-out double. Mike McDade gave the Fisher Cats the lead for good by launching a two-run homer to right center field.
New Hampshire used another two out rally to add to their lead in the fifth. Brad Glenn and Brian Jeroloman set the table with consecutive two-out singles. Behind in the count 0-2, Ryan Goins ripped a three-run homer to right field. His third homer of the year gave the Fisher Cats a 5-1 advantage.
Peavey (3-2) battled past the two home runs and posted two scoreless innings to cap his night. The righty allowed five runs on seven hits while walking one and striking out three. He matched a season-high with seven innings in the losing effort.
The B-Mets scratched back with a run in the seventh off Cecil. Reese Havens walked to start the inning and scored when Juan Lagares shot a double to the left field alley. Binghamton's threat was quickly erased when Pedro Zapata lined into a double play to end the inning.
Cecil (3-2) went a season-long seven innings to collect his third win in as many games. The lefty allowed two runs on seven hits and gave way to Danny Farquhar who tossed a perfect eighth inning. After the Fisher Cats put the game out of reach with three runs off Erik Turgeon in the top of the ninth, Farquhar posted a scoreless inning to cap his first save of the season,
The B-Mets (22-25) continue their four-game set against the Fisher Cats tomorrow night at 6:35 PM. LHP Mark Cohoon matches up against RHP Fernando Hernandez. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pre-game show begins at 6:20 PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
Eastern League Stories from May 26, 2012
- Aeros Fall to SeaWolves, 7-3 - Akron Aeros
- Senators snap losing streak - Harrisburg Senators
- Big Brother Buck Lifts Zach - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Blast Past B-Mets, 8-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Fisher Cats Top Mets for Third Straight Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Bowie Blows by Curve on Star-Studded Saturday - Altoona Curve
- Marshall, Three Relievers K 14 Squirrels in 1-0 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder Blanks Squirrels in Game Two, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Take Two from Twins Affiliate - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs New Hampshire Fisher Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.