Grizzlies Pick up First Win against SlammersMay 19, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
The game was a pitcher's duel and both teams stranded runners before Gateway got on the board in the fourth. After John Shelby doubled to lead off the inning, Jerod Yakubik launched a single to start the scoring. The Grizzlies added three more runs in the fourth off a Landon Hernandez double, and a Hector Pellot throwing error. Joliet committed four errors in the game.
Gateway pulled away in the fifth with another three runs, two of which came when Shelby homered for his second hit of the night. They would extend the lead in the sixth when miscommunication on the field by Joliet allowed a run to score, making it 8-0.
In his regular season debut with the Slammers, Steven Maxwell surrendered seven through four and one-third innings. Jim Schult, Chuck Lukanen,and Brian Smith completed the effort for Joliet. Tim Brown was credited with the win for Gateway.
Joliet completes the series in Sauget on Sunday at GCS Ballpark near St. Louis at 3:05pm. Fans can catch the action live on AM 1340 WJOL, and streaming live online at www.wjol.com, with Aaron Morse calling the action.
Frontier League Stories from May 19, 2012
- Otters Surge Late for Comeback 10 Inning Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Defeat Rippers 9-5 in Offensive Fashion - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Held to Five Hits in 6-2 Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Fall 4-3 in Extra Innings - Washington Wild Things
- Button bloop boosts RiverHawks in 6-2 win - Rockford RiverHawks
- Grizzlies Cruise Past Slammers for First Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Pick up First Win against Slammers - Joliet Slammers
- Big First Inning Too Much For Rippers - London Rippers
- Late rally falls short - Lake Erie Crushers
- CornBelters drop 7-2 decision to Windy City - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Hold off Lake Erie to Improve to 2-0 - Schaumburg Boomers
- Former RiverHawk Called up to Triple-A - Rockford RiverHawks
- Ex-RiverHawk in Triple-A - Rockford RiverHawks
- May 19 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Grand Slam Propels Beach Bums to a 6-4 Victory against Freedom - Florence Freedom
- Miners Win Season Opener - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.