Hillcats Best Dash in First-Place BattleMay 11, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Winston-Salem Dash
The Hillcats (19-13) scored in six different innings en route to their fifth win in six games. Dash starter Ryan Buch (2-3) worked four innings and allowed a single tally in all of those frames. The righty surrendered six hits and only struck out one.
Winston-Salem (20-12) relievers could not slow down the Hillcats. Steve McCray surrendered two runs in an inning and two-thirds. Chris Bassitt mopped up a jam in the sixth before allowing a seventh-inning tally. Only Kyle Bellamy, who tossed an easy eighth frame, held the Hillcats scoreless during his outing.
The Dash's lone run came in the sixth inning when Marcus Semien cleared the center field wall for his fifth home run of the season. The blast extended Semien's hitting streak to 17 games, which was tied for the fifth-longest current run in minor league baseball entering action Friday.
Nick Ciolli also pushed his hit streak to 13 games with an infield single in the second frame. Ciolli's streak is tied for the second-longest run in the league this season.
Lynchburg starter Dimasther Delgado (1-1) befuddled Winston-Salem hitters over six innings. He allowed the Dash's lone run on only three hits. Bullpen arms Caleb Brewer and Brett Cammons held the Dash off the scoreboard during the game's final three frames.
The Hillcats slowed down a Dash offense that entered Friday with the third-highest runs per game ratio in minor league baseball. Winston-Salem had been averaging 6.3 runs per contest. Only Low-A squads Hagerstown and Asheville had a higher runs per game ratio than the Dash.
These two first-place squads continue their three-game weekend set Saturday night at 6:05. Winston-Salem sends Matt Heidenreich (3-1, 4.63 ERA) to the mound against fellow righty J.R. Graham (4-0, 2.61 ERA). Pre-game coverage on wsdash.com begins at 5:50.
The Dash return to BB&T Ballpark Monday for a seven-game homestand against Myrtle Beach and Lynchburg. For tickets and more information, visit wsdash.com or call (336) 714-2287.
Carolina League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Red Sox Outlast Pelicans 5-3 in 14 Innings - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Score Early, Wallop Nationals - Carolina Mudcats
- Eibner's Grand Slam Undoes Keys - Frederick Keys
- Seven Run First Propels Carolina over Potomac 9-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Eibner Slams Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- 'Cats Score in Eight Frames to Best Dash - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hillcats Best Dash in First-Place Battle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Announce Second Annual Art Contest - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Mudcats Game Notes - May 11 - Carolina Mudcats
- All-Star Game Tickets Go on Sale Monday - Winston-Salem Dash
- RHP Leroy Hunt promoted to Double-A Birmingham - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.