Loons Win AgainMay 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
In a Thursday School Kids Day game against the West Michigan Whitecaps, the Loons rallied from behind and held on for a 4-3 victory. The Loons improved to 11-7 in one-run games and 16-8 overall in games decided by two runs or fewer.
With the score tied 3-3 in the top of the ninth inning and runners at first and third and one out, Kevin Taylor grounded to second base. Brandon Loy got the out at second but Eugenio Suarez's throw to first base was errant and the go-ahead run crossed the plate.
West Michigan scored two early runs in the first inning. Loons starter Gustavo Gomez balked with runners at the corners and one out to push across the first run of the game. Aaron Westlake followed with an RBI single to push the score up to 2-0.
With one out in the second, Justin Boudreaux tripled on a sinking line drive, benefiting from an overly-aggressive dive by right fielder Jason Krizan. Jan Vazquez's sacrifice fly brought in the Loons' first run.
In the fifth, the Loons tied the score at two. Boudreaux singled, stole second and scored on a two-out single by Jesus Arredondo.
The Loons took the lead in the top of the seventh. Taylor lined a two-out single into left-center to score Boudreaux with his third run of the game. Then with the score tied 3-3, Vazquez led off the inning with a walk. Pedro Guerrero bunted him over to second and Jesus Arredondo singled to put runners at the corners with one out. At that point Taylor hit the go-ahead fielder's choice.
Matt Laney (2-2) recorded his first relief win with 1 2/3 scoreless innings. Yimi Garcia got the final three outs for his fifth save.
After the game, the Dodgers announced the promotion of Loons reliever Eric Eadington to their High-A Rancho Cucamonga affiliate. The left-hander from Harvard was 1-0 with a 3.09 ERA and five saves.
The Loons (20-14) and Whitecaps (16-18) meet for the finale of a three-game series Friday evening at 6:35pm ET at Fifth Third Ballpark. Right-hander Arismendy Ozoria (3-0, 3.81) is scheduled to start for the Loons against righty Brennan Smith (1-2, 2.59). The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and ESPN1009.com.
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Chiefs Lose 6-5 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits blast two homers to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Fort Wayne Loses 3-2 to South Bend - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Calixte Slams Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Goeddel Doubles Home Two in Defeat - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Inciarte Delivers Again, Hawks Down TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lake County Arms Hold Dragons Down - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Win Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Announce Roster Moves - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Move Precedes Tonight's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Beat Kernels in Front of Big Crowd, 8-6 - Burlington Bees
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to Let Fans Run the Show on June 25 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rivero Named Rays April Pitcher of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for May 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.