Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6May 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
The Kernels continued the onslaught from Wednesday night by scoring two runs in the 1st inning. Kevin Moesquit led off with a walk and came home on a RBI triple by Ryan Jones. A throwing error by Bees second baseman Chih-Fang Pang allowed Jones to score and give the Kernels a 2-0 advantage.
In the 2nd inning, the Kernels tallied two more runs to take a 4-0 lead. Gary Mitchell and Carlos Lugo singled to lead off the inning. Mitchell scored on a RBI single by Ryan Jones. Lugo came home when Kaleb Cowart reached on an error by Bees shortstop Sean Jamieson. Cowart was credited with his 25th RBI of the season on the play.
Burlington evened the score 4-4 in the 4th inning as they scored four times. Royce Consigli led off the inning with a solo home run to right center. Wade Kirkland's RBI double plated Douglas Landaeta. Chih-Fang Pan's RBI singled scored Kirkland. On the play, Sean Jamieson scored on a throwing error by Kernels right fielder Ryan Jones.
But, Ryan Jones got that run right back as he led off the 5th inning with a solo home run to right center field. It was his second home run of the season, and it gave the Kernels a 5-4 advantage.
The lead was short-lived as the Bees knotted the score again by scoring a run in the bottom of the 5th inning. Dusty Robinson led off the inning with a triple. He later scored on Douglas Landaeta's RBI groundout, tying the game 5-5.
Burlington took an 8-5 lead in the 6th inning. Sean Jamieson's RBI double plated John Nester. B.A. Vollmuth's RBI sacrifice fly brought Aaron Shipman home. Dusty Robinson's RBI single scored Jamieson.
The Kernels cut the Bees lead to 8-6 in the 8th inning. Gary Mitchell beat on an infield single with two outs. On the play, Chevy Clarke scored from 2nd base and cut the deficit to two runs.
Jairo Diaz (1-4) took the loss on the mound for the Kernels. He went 5-plus innings and allowed eight runs (seven earned) on 11 hits. He struck out four and walked two. Carmine Giardina pitched one inning in relief and allowed no runs on one hit. He struck out one and walked one. Aaron Meade pitched two scoreless innings, allowing no runs on no hits while striking out two.
Drew Granier (5-1) was the winner for Burlington. He started and went 6.1 innings, allowing five runs (four earned) on six hits. He struck out seven and walked four. Jeff Urlaub pitched 1.2 innings, allowing one run on two hits. Drew Tyson pitched a scoreless 9th inning, picking up his 5th save.
The Kernels conclude the series at Burlington on Friday night at 6:30 p.m. The Kernels then begin a four-game series at Quad Cities. The team returns home on Wednesday, May 16, taking on the Kane County Cougars.
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com .
Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Chiefs Lose 6-5 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits blast two homers to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Fort Wayne Loses 3-2 to South Bend - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Calixte Slams Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Goeddel Doubles Home Two in Defeat - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Inciarte Delivers Again, Hawks Down TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lake County Arms Hold Dragons Down - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Win Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Announce Roster Moves - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Move Precedes Tonight's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Beat Kernels in Front of Big Crowd, 8-6 - Burlington Bees
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to Let Fans Run the Show on June 25 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rivero Named Rays April Pitcher of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for May 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.