Carolyn McKee Named to South Atlantic League Hall of FameMay 8, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Asheville Tourists
"It's always exciting when a member of your organization is recognized with such a high honor," said Brian DeWine, president of the Asheville Tourists. "In this case, it's even more special knowing how much of her life Carolyn McKee dedicated to the team and to keeping baseball in Asheville. Not only do we congratulate her, but I also thank Carolyn for her contributions. Without them, there's a chance that no one associated with our team today would be in living in our great city."
Carolyn McKee joined the Tourists in 1980 and served in nearly every capacity with the team over the next 26 years. Her duties always included managing the accounting operations and supervising the box office on game days. Carolyn also accepted additional responsibilities in 1994 when the team became affiliated with the Colorado Rockies. She assisted the Rockies on organizational matters and oversaw the club's travel arrangements. Her contributions to the baseball industry were recognized in 2004 when Carolyn was named the Rawlings Woman Executive of the Year, becoming the first woman in the South Atlantic League to win the national award.
Carolyn joins her husband, Ron, as a member of the SAL Hall of Fame, becoming the second husband-wife team to receive the prestigious honor. They follow in the footsteps of the league's founder and long-time president John Henry Moss and his wife Elaine, who were inducted in 1994 and 2004, respectively.
"I had the pleasure of working with Carolyn for several years and I learned so much from her during that time," said Asheville general manager Larry Hawkins. "She always had a handle on the details and understood how everything contributed to the big picture in running a team. Carolyn and Ron were a true team, and to see her receive this recognition is very gratifying and deserved."
South Atlantic League Stories from May 8, 2012
- Tough 8-7 Loss Is Sour End to Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Boil Claws in 6-1 Win Tuesday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Shorebirds Win Thriller over RiverDogs, 8-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws Drop Final Game of Roadtrip 6-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Legends Hold off Tourists 2-1 - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Rained out in Kannapolis on Tuesday Night - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators, Crawdads Rained Out - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Former Wildcat Meyer Goes against Legends' Tropeano Friday - Lexington Legends
- Legends Open Four-Game Homestand Thursday - Lexington Legends
- Trio Combines for First 9-Inning No-Hitter in Drive History - Greenville Drive
- RHP Jarret Miller Activated from DL - Rome Braves
- Three 'Dads Win Rangers Monthly Awards - Hickory Crawdads
- Sand Gnats to Host Fundraiser for Children of Otis Brock III - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Suns Downed by GreenJackets in Rain Shortened Game, 8-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- GreenJackets Earn Split With Rain-Shortened Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mayor Joe Riley, Bill Murray Selected for SAL Hall of Fame - Charleston RiverDogs
- Captains Inaugural Beer Festival June 9 - SAL
- Carolyn McKee Named to South Atlantic League Hall of Fame - Asheville Tourists
- Budweiser Clydesdales Appearing in Kannapolis Today Only from 4-7pm Before Intimidators Game - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Dylan Bundy Named Minor League Pitcher of Month - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Announce Benefit Game to Support the Mitchell Akers Leopard Spirit Memorial Scholarship Fund - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.