Isotopes Edge Zephyrs 4-3 in 12 InningsApril 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Albuquerque Isotopes
Knotted 3-3 in the top of the 12th, pinch-hitter Josh Fields led off the frame by drawing a walk from Z's reliever Elih Villanueva. After coaxing a fly-out and a ground-out, Villanueva looked poised to get out of the inning, until Cruz took a 3-2 pitch and laced it into the corner in left field for a double, scoring Fields all the way from first and giving Albuquerque a 4-3 edge.
The "Topes then placed the game in the extremely capable hands of their right-handed closer Josh Wall (5), who delivered a one-two-three bottom of the 12th to secure his fifth save of the season and the 4-3 Isotopes win.
Unlike Friday night's pitcher's duel, this one featured the Isotopes grabbing the quick lead, scoring a run in the top of the third on a bases-loaded walk to Jeff Baisley to seize an early 1-0 advantage.
After New Orleans tied the game on a Cole Armstrong RBI double in the bottom of the fifth, the "Topes re-took the lead in the seventh. Matt Angle, making his first start since returning from the Disabled List with a hamstring strain, started the rally with a lead-off single and scampered into second on a sacrifice bunt by pitcher Will Savage. The fleet-footed Angle celebrated his return to the active roster with two hits and two runs scored. Elian Herrera then slapped a single to right, plating Angle and giving the visitors a 2-1 lead. Herrera alertly advanced to second on the throw home in the vain attempt to toss out Angle, a smart base-running move that immediately paid off when Joe Becker lined a single to center, scoring Herrera and increasing the Isotopes' lead to 3-1.
The Z's would respond, however, scoring a run in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single by Armstrong and adding one more tally in the eighth on a Luke Montz sacrifice fly to knot the contest at 3-3 and ultimately send the contest into extra innings.
"Topes reliever Derrick Loop (2-0) earned the victory after three scoreless innings, while Villanueva (3-1) suffered his first loss of the season.
Albuquerque will wrap up its four-game series in the Big Easy with day baseball, featuring a 12:00 PM MT first pitch from Zephyr Field. Righty Stephen Fife (1-2, 9.92) will get the ball for the "Topes taking on Z's lefty Wade LeBlanc (1-1, 3.86).
After a series in New Orleans, the Isotopes are back home Monday for a loaded homestand that kicks off with the first of three 50-Cent Hot Dog Nights and includes back-to-back weekend fireworks. Tickets for any Isotopes game may be purchased at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, or on-line at www.abqisotopes.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2012
- Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in 12-Inning Battle - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Six-run first inning too much for E-Train to overcome - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Ride Past Express, 11-5 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Shut Out Cubs, Snap Losing Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Win Third-Straight, 5-2, over Bees - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Edge Zephyrs 4-3 in 12 Innings - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Drop 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Back on Winning Track with Shutout of I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Hollingsworth Helps Omaha Handle Memphis - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chicago Recalls Castillo, Apodaca Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Return Favor, Shut Out Grizzlies - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tucson wins 5-1 - Tucson Padres
- Sacramento Falls to Tucson, 5-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Blanked By Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.