Rainiers Blanked By Las VegasApril 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
Las Vegas' pitching staff - headlined by starter Jesse Chavez - allowed just four Rainiers to reach base in the contest, with Chavez holding Tacoma hitless until infielder Luis Rodriguez singled with one out in the sixth. The right-hander ended the night surrendering just two hits and striking out five over 7.0 scoreless innings.
The 51s made the club's first appearance on the scoreboard in the third inning following Ruben Gotay's single that scored Danny Perales from third base. Perales and Gotay each singled in a run in the fourth alongside a Mike McCoy RBI-double that stretched Las Vegas' lead to 4-0.
Catcher Travis d'Arnaud upped Tacoma's deficit to five runs after delivering a line drive single to right field that plated designated hitter Ricardo Nanita.
Rodriguez, Scott Savastano and Mike Carp each hit singles for the Rainiers on Friday and shortstop Carlos Triunfel drew a walk in the fourth inning.
Starter Jeff Marquez (1-2) surrendered five runs - four earned - on nine hits and struck out two over 5.0 innings in a losing effort. Relievers Oliver Perez and Josh Kinney combined to fan four over 3.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
The Rainiers (9-13) return to action at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday, April 28 for the third game of the club's four-game series at Las Vegas (7-15). Left-hander Mauricio Robles (0-2, 6.88) is scheduled to start for Tacoma in the outing against 51s right-hander Joel Carreno (1-2, 7.07).
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter ( @RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2012
- Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in 12-Inning Battle - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Six-run first inning too much for E-Train to overcome - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Ride Past Express, 11-5 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Shut Out Cubs, Snap Losing Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Win Third-Straight, 5-2, over Bees - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Edge Zephyrs 4-3 in 12 Innings - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chasers Drop 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Back on Winning Track with Shutout of I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Hollingsworth Helps Omaha Handle Memphis - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chicago Recalls Castillo, Apodaca Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Return Favor, Shut Out Grizzlies - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tucson wins 5-1 - Tucson Padres
- Sacramento Falls to Tucson, 5-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Blanked By Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.