Blackley Shuts Down Sky Sox In Fresno's 3-0 ShutoutApril 27, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Fresno Grizzlies
Blackley only allowed three hits over seven innings, while striking out five and walking one. The southpaw has not allowed a run in his last two outings and has set a new season-high for Grizzlies pitchers by holding opponents scoreless in his last 16 1/3 innings pitched. For the season, Blackley is 3-0 with a miniscule 0.39 ERA.
Blackley did not allow a hit after Tommy Field led off the second with a double. Blackley retired 18 consecutive hitters to end his outing. The 18 straight hitters retired is also a new season-high for a Fresno pitcher this season.
With Blackley's fine starting performance in hand, the Grizzlies offense did not need too many runs to support the pitching. In the bottom of the fourth, Justin Christian led off with a single to left field.Conor Gillaspie followed with a single to right field on a perfectly executed hit-and-run, which allowed Christian to advance to third. After Francisco Peguero struck out, Roger hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Christian, and Charlie Culberson singled to left to plate Gillaspie and give the Grizzlies a 2-0 lead.
Culberson capped the game's scoring with a leadoff home run in the seventh. It was Culberson's second roundtripper of the year and only the fourth Grizzlies homer hit at Chukchansi Park this season. Fresno has 19 total on the season.
The two teams will square off for game two of the four-game set on Friday at 7:05 p.m. Left-hander Brian Burres (1-1, 3.38) of Fresno will face right-hander Tyler Chatwood (0-0, 6.75) of Colorado Springs.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 27, 2012
- Aces Play Long Ball for 12-7 Win over Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Even Series at Oklahoma City, 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Fall Short on Friday, 8-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sanabia Shuts Down Albuquerque 2-1 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- 'Topes Nipped by Z's, 2-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Late Rally Lifts Memphis Past Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Better Eighth Than Never - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Cubs vs. Nashville Sounds Game Postponed - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds, Cubs Rained out on Friday Night in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Lopez Joins Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Continue 2012 Campaign with Eight-Game Homestand - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Honored with Two Awards on Thursday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Return Home Monday - Round Rock Express
- Blackley Shuts Down Sky Sox In Fresno's 3-0 Shutout - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sacramento wins at Raley Field, 5-1 - Tucson Padres
- Moss Reaches Milestone, Cats Beat T-Pads 5-1 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.