Sylvia Fowles Re-Signs with Chicago SkyApril 16, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) - Chicago Sky Press Release
The reigning Defensive Player of the Year started all 34 games for the Sky in 2011, averaging 20.0 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game, becoming only the second player in league history to average 20 points and 10 rebounds in a season. The 6-6 center led the WNBA in blocked shots (2.0) and field goal percentage (59.1%), while finished second in rebounding and third in points per game.
"Anytime you re-sign a franchise player it bodes well for the future," said Sky General Manager & Head Coach Pokey Chatman. "Sylvia is a force on both ends of the floor and I'm looking forward to coaching her for many years to come."
In her four seasons in the WNBA, Fowles has been named to three All-Star games and won the Most Valuable Player award following the 2010 contest. Originally drafted by the Sky with the second overall pick in the 2008 WNBA Draft from LSU, Fowles is now the Sky's all-time leader in scoring average (15.9), rebounds (1,000), blocks (227), and field goal percentage (57.9%).
"I am thrilled to be a member of the Chicago Sky for years to come," said Fowles. "The organization is committed to success and Coach Chatman has made all the right moves in the off-season to build long term success at the Sky and I am eager to be a part of that. I love the city of Chicago and truly enjoy playing in front of the loyal and loud Sky fans. I am excited to get on the court with the talented roster of players who will be surrounding me and our fans should expect big things from us in 2012."
Fowles won a gold medal as part of the 2008 U.S. Women's Olympic Basketball team and has been named to represent the U.S. Women's team again in London for the 2012 games along with Sky teammate Swin Cash.
Single game tickets for the 2012 Chicago Sky season go on sale Monday, April 16 at 9:00 a.m. CT. For three days only, April 16 through April 18, the Sky will offer individual tickets online to all 2012 games at half price excluding courtside and courtside club tickets. Sky fans can visit www.chicagosky.net to take advantage of the special offer.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 16, 2012
- Chicago Sky Selects Shey Peddy and Sydney Carter in 2012 WNBA Draft - Chicago Sky
- Phoenix Mercury Selects Samantha Prahalis in First Round of WNBA Draft - Phoenix Mercury
- Sun Draft Astan Dabo with Ninth Overall Pick - Connecticut Sun
- Lynx Complete 2012 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Atlanta Dream Selects Tiffany Hayes in WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Ogwumike, Stricklen, Peters Top Three Picks in 2012 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- New York Liberty Draft Kelley Cain and Katelan Redmon in 2012 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Silver Stars Select Shenise Johnson with the No. 5 Pick in the 2012 Draft - San Antonio Stars
- Sparks Select Nnemkadi Ogwumike with First Pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Rebounders Goodlett and Hurt Chosen in WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- Washington Mystics Select Natalie Novosel & LaSondra Barrett - Washington Mystics
- Indiana Selects Goodlett with No. 11 Pick in WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- Lynx Select Devereaux Peters with the Third Overall Pick - Minnesota Lynx
- Sylvia Fowles Re-Signs with Chicago Sky - Chicago Sky
- Connecticut Sun Individual Tickets Now on Sale - Connecticut Sun
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.