Pirates Trap BearsApril 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Portland Pirates
The Bears opened the scoring with a shorthanded goal to open the scoring when forward Kyle Greentree pushed one past Portland goaltender Peter Mannino, assisted by Julien Brouillette and Garrett Mitchell to put Hershey on the board at 10:32 in the first period.
The Bears wouldn't hold the lead for long as the Pirates answered just over a minute later with a Brett MacLean goal, his 25th of the season, assisted by Tyler Eckford and David Rundblad.
The Pirates came out on fire at the start of the second period, scoring less than a minute in when Andy Miele retrieved his own rebound and passed it to a wide open Matt Watkins, who put it past Bears goaltender Daren Machesney for his eleventh goal of the season. Ashton Rome also picked up an assist on the play.
Minutes later, the Pirates wasted no time making up for the shorthanded goal they'd given up in the first as Brett Sterling found the back of the net fifteen seconds into Portland's power play of the night to put the Pirates up 3-1. Marc-Antoine Pouliot and MacLean picked up the assists.
After exchanging offensive chances, Hershey forward David Civitarese got the best of Mannino for his first AHL goal when he let a weak shot off that trickled past Mannino's pads to cut the Pirates lead back to one at 8:04 in the second period.
Just over a minute later, the Pirates regained the two goal lead when Andy Miele beat Machesney for his sixteenth goal of the year, assisted by Nick Ross and Oystrick. The assist gave Oystrick 200 points for his AHL career.
The Bears would strike again before the second period closed out. With traffic out front and a flurry of shots, Matt Carman picked up a rebound and put it past Mannino to put the Bears within one goal again.
The Pirates power play would again capitalize on a chance when Sterling picked up his second goal of the game and 30th of the season when he grabbed a loose rebound amid traffic out front and fired it past Machesney to put the Pirates up 5-3 at 2:08 of the third period. MacLean and Oystrick picked up assists on the play, Oystrick's third assist of the night, and MacLean's third point of the game.
The Bears power play, ranked first in the league, finally scored on their fourth opportunity when Ryan Potulny fired a slapshot from the bottom of the right circle over Mannino's left shoulder, assisted by Chris Bourque and Greentree at 3:52 of the third.
The Pirates put the game away when Kenndal McArdle fired a shot that Machesney lost in traffic for his tenth goal of the season at 5:23.
The Fairway Mortgage Three Stars of the Game were all from Portland: 1 Sterling; 2. Miele; 3. Watkins.
After the game, the Pirates gave out the End of the Year Team Awards, Presented by Creative Awards:
The winners were:
Pirates Partner Award: Bill Dodge Auto Group
Mister Sparky Spark Plug of the Year: Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Fairway Mortgage Three Star Award: Andy Miele
Jack Button Award (Top Prospect, as chosen by Phoenix Coyotes organization): Michael Stone
Tom Ebright Award (Player who best exemplifies what it means to be a Pirate): Matt Watkins
Players' Player: Dean Arsene
Most Popular Player (voted by fans): Ryan Hollweg
Unsung Hero (voted by fans): Tyler Eckford
Most Valuable Player, Presented by Maine Medical Center (voted by fans): Andy Miele
The Pirates will play the final game of the regular season on Sunday against the Providence Bruins 4:05 p.m. Join the Voice of the Pirates Jeff Mannix for the call of the game starting with the pregame show at 3:50 p.m. on the WPEI 95.9 and 95.5 Portland Pirates Radio Network.
Portland Pirates 20th Anniversary Season Tickets are now on sale! You can secure your seats for as low as $50! Season tickets include plenty of great incentives! To find out more, call the Pirates Tickets Office at 828-4665, EXT 350 today!
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Hogs Take Tenth Win Against Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Clinch Fourth With Win Over Marlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Pirates Trap Bears - Portland Pirates
- Matsumoto's OT Winner Lifts Rampage Over Stars 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Keeping Pace - Manchester Monarchs
- Keeping Pace - Manchester Monarchs
- Rivermen Playoff Chances Take a Hit - Peoria Rivermen
- Fourth Straight Win Sets Up Season Finale Showdown With Playoffs On The Line - Lake Erie Monsters
- Whale to Take on Bridgeport in First-Round Calder Cup playoff series - Connecticut Whale
- Amerks Cruise Past Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale, 5-1 - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Beat Phantoms 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins' Playoff Hopes Dashed with 7-5 Loss to Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Rout Peoria for Important Win - Charlotte Checkers
- 3-1 victory secures second seed in Eastern Conference - St. John's IceCaps
- Still Alive After First Ever Loss to Springfield - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Slip by Stars with Dramatic OT Win - Texas Stars
- Aeros suffer 2-1 loss to Oklahoma City - Houston Aeros
- Whale defeated by Manchester - Connecticut Whale
- Pirates Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Youthful Sharks Fall 3-1 to IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Fall to Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Devils Can't Stop Admirals - Albany Devils
- Bulldogs Battle Monsters to 5-3 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Suffer Setback in Rochester - Syracuse Crunch
- Norfolk Nails Down 26th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Drop 3-1 Decision to Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Clinch Midwest Division with Wild 7-5 Win - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Trip up Pens in Road Finale, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Clinch Northeast Division Title with 4-1 Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Wrap up Regular Season on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- Bulldogs Recognize Hamilton Sports Hall of Fame Inductees - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Blackhawks Agree to Terms with LeBlanc - Rockford IceHogs
- Norfolk's Cory Conacher Named American Hockey League MVP for 2011-12 - AHL
- Cory Conacher Named American Hockey League's Most Valuable Player - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Close Our Regular Season this Weekend - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceCaps Recall Marto from Colorado - St. John's IceCaps
- IceCaps Sign Sides to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Final Weekend Begins Tonight Against Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Darren Haydar Wins Chicago Wolves' Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Gameday Preview - Texas at San Antonio - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Oklahoma City Barons Game Notes - April 13 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Vs Marlies Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Weekend Preview: IceCaps Play Three-In-Three to Finish Season - St. John's IceCaps
- Griffins Play Final Home Game of the Regular Season Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.