Injury Depleted Red Claws Fall to Toros, 114-87March 18, 2012 - NBA Development League (D-League) - Maine Red Claws
Already one player down, Maine find itself more shorthanded as forward DeShawn Sims was a late scratch due to a right foot injury. The Red Claws started strong, leading 34-25 in the first quarter. Their luck would be short-lived, however, as in the second quarter their roster took another hit when after scoring 13 points in the first frame, Lawrence Hill left the game with a right ankle sprain. This setback allowed the Toros to come back and take a 2 point lead going into halftime. With just seven semi-healthy bodies, including starting point guard Kenny Hayes who was battling not only a sore ankle but the effects of the flu as well, the Red Claws lost steam in the second half, allowing Austin to outscore them 29-19 in the third and 27-12 in the fourth.
Austin's Terrance Woodbury led all players in scoring with 24 points while three of his teammates reached double-doubles. Justin Dentmon had 21 points and 12 assists, leading all players in assists while Julian Wright (17 points) led both teams in rebounds with 15. Luke Zeller, with 16 points and 10 rebounds finished off Austin's double-doubles. Two other Toros scored in the double digits with former Red Claw Lester Hudson contributing 17 points and Jamarr Sanders 10.
Maine had four players score in the double digits with Morris Almond (23 points) leading the way. Xavier Silas followed with 17 points while Kenny Hayes chipped in 16 points of his own and 6 assists. Despite only playing eleven minutes, Hill rounded off the double digit list with 15 points. Hamady Ndiaye led all Red Claws in rebounds with 11.
The Red Claws will fly out to Texas tomorrow morning to take on the Texas Legends on Tuesday, March 20 and the Austin Toros on Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24. Maine will then head back east to face the Springfield Armor for their final road game of the regular season on Tuesday, March 27. The season will close out with a trio of home games on April 1, 6 and 7.
The Toros host the Iowa Energy on Wednesday, March 21 before hosting the Red Claws on Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24.
NBA Development League Stories from March 18, 2012
- BayHawks Defeat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Hayward Recalled from Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Dakota's Edwin Ubiles Signs with Washington Wizards - D-League
- Injury Depleted Red Claws Fall to Toros, 114-87 - Maine Red Claws
- New Orlenas Hornets Assign Xavier Henry to NBA D-League Affiliate Iowa Energy - Iowa Energy
- New Orleans Hornets Assign Xavier Henry to NBA D-League Affiliate Iowa Energy - D-League
- D-Fenders Secure Playoff Berth with Win over Idaho - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Well-Balanced Attack Leads to Jam Victory Over Vipers - Bakersfield Jam
- Stampede Lose to D-Fenders - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Best BayHawks for Fifth-Straight Win - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.