Nyquist Sets Griffins' Rookie Scoring Record in 5-3 WinMarch 18, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Grand Rapids Griffins
With the back-and-forth contest seemingly destined for overtime with less than two minutes remaining, Nyquist put the cherry on his memorable night by notching the game-winner off a cannon from the left point with 1:54 left, then setting up Brent Raedeke's insurance tally 43 seconds later.
The Griffins (28-24-6-4) racked up 46 shots en route to their third five-goal outburst in the last four games and improved to 8-3-1-0 behind Ty Conklin, who made 32 saves in yet another solid effort. They'll head back on the road to continue their playoff push with four straight games in the southwest, beginning with Tuesday's 8 p.m. EDT visit to San Antonio.
Hamilton's Gabriel Dumont opened the scoring by putting a rebound past Conklin just 1:10 into the contest, but the Griffins answered at 3:55 when Francis Pare connected from the left circle for the 76th goal of his Grand Rapids career, moving him past Kip Miller into sole possession of third place on the franchise's all-time list.
Mitch Callahan put the Griffins ahead 2-1 at the 8:34 mark of the second period. Louis-Marc Aubry forced a turnover along the left boards and slipped the puck to Callahan, who quickly launched a wrister from the left faceoff dot that flew past Robert Mayer.
Dumont notched his second of the night during a power play at 17:17, beating a sprawled Conklin with a slap shot from the left side, but Nyquist made history 80 seconds later to again put Grand Rapids on top at 3-2. Following a giveaway in front of the Hamilton net, Jamie Johnson fed Nyquist for the rookie's team-high 21st goal and 56th point of the season, breaking the first-year scoring record set by Glen Metropolit (55 points in 79 games) during the 1997-98 campaign.
The Bulldogs' Joonas Nattinen forged the third tie of the night at 7:43 of the third, spinning in the high slot and firing a shot that clanged off the crossbar and down into the net.
Nyquist's decisive second goal, on the power play, prompted a vehement argument from the Hamilton bench that Mayer had been interfered with by a screening Joakim Andersson, but to no avail. Now showing 58 points on the season - seventh overall in the AHL and second among rookies - Nyquist has moved into a tie for third all time among Griffins rookies with 22 goals, matching Kevyn Adams (1996-97) and pulling within two of Justin Abdelkader and Pare (both 2008-09).
American Hockey League Stories from March 18, 2012
- Pirates Steal Point from Whale - Portland Pirates
- Fallon Leads Aeros to 2-1 Shootout Win - Houston Aeros
- Devils Get Chances But Fall to Hershey - Albany Devils
- Bears Earn Sweep of Devils, Weekend - Hershey Bears
- Shorthanded IceCaps fall to Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Top Pirates in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Fall to Bruins 5-1 - One Point out of 8th and Final Playoff Spot - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Defeat Falcons 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Shut Down Checkers, Set Record for Longest Winning Streak in AHL History - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Bite Sound Tigers 5-2 in Feisty Affair - Worcester Sharks
- Norfolk Makes History at Checkers' Expense - Charlotte Checkers
- Munroe Wins 100th as Penguins Beat Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Clean Sweep on the Rock - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Drop Marlies, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Fall to Penguins, 3-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk Admirals Set AHL Record with 18th Consecutive Win - AHL
- Red Wings Recall Nyquist - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros Game Day, March 18: Aeros Vs. OKC - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Sign Forward Bryan Brutlag to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Layton Assigned to Allen - Texas Stars
- Jets Recall Machacek from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Fall To Griffins, 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros defeat Abbotsford Heat 1-0 in a shootout - Houston Aeros
- Nyquist Sets Griffins' Rookie Scoring Record in 5-3 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.