Brandt Leads the Gladiators to 7th Straight WinMarch 14, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Gwinnett Gladiators
Cincinnati came out firing and opened the scoring 7:19 into the first period. Jonathan Hazen danced through the Gladiators defense to beat netminder Marc Cheverie over his glove hand to give the Cyclones a 1-0 lead. Joe Devin and Maury Edwards each notched an assist on the marker.
Just as the Gladiators first power play expired, Captain Paul Flache fired the puck into the net from the top of the left wing face off circle to tie the game 1-1 at 10:08 of the period. Forward Justin Milo found Flache from the corner to notch an assist on the night. Tyler Murovich had the other helper on the goal for Gwinnett.
At 17:09 of the middle stanza, Andy Brandt lifted a backhand past a sliding Cyclones netminder Brian Foster to give the Gladiators a 2-1 advantage. Jordan Foreman set up the goal finding Brandt along the goal line for an assist on the tally. Rookie Jacob Drewiske posted his first professional point picking up a helper on the marker.
The Gladiators ended the second period with a 2-1 lead, outshooting the Cyclones 25-to-12.
Brandt secured a 3-2 victory with his 15th goal of the season into an empty net on the penalty kill at 19:55 of the final period. Justin Milo outraced a Cyclones defenseman to set up the goal for Gwinnett while Sean Duddy, in his first professional game, notched an assist on the marker.
The Gladiators outshot Cincinnati 32-to-18. Cheverie finished the night with 17 saves and earned his second straight win for the Gwinnett.
The Gladiators return to home ice to battle the Cyclones on Friday night at the Arena at Gwinnett Center. The puck will drop at 7:35 p.m.
The Gladiators are the ECHL Affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres and the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League and are members of the ECHL, the Premier "AA" Hockey League and play all home games at the 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth.
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2012
- Grizzlies Beat Bakersfield 3-2; Win 4th-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Rally Past Thunder, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Aces Invade Colorado with 4-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Aces Continue Defensive Dominance Over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Express Power Past Nailers for 3-1 Win - Chicago Express
- Royals Flounder Against Florida, 8-3 - Reading Royals
- Child Nets First Professional Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Continue Offensive Woes - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brandt Leads the Gladiators to 7th Straight Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Toledo Beats Kalamazoo 3-1 - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Fall in Gwinnett, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Syvret Returns from Portland - Trenton Titans
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Condors Vs. Utah Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach McKelvie Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Ticket Information Released - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Wheeling Tonight - Chicago Express
- Eagles Sign Amateur Defenseman Isaac Smeltzer - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Gwinnett - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Eagles Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Friday, March 23 - Colorado Eagles
- Penguins Assign Samuelsson to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Add Game Plan Holder to the Roster - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - March 14 - ECHL
- Reign Lose First in Steelhead Series, 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Steelheads Hold on for 3-2 Win in Ontario - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.