Toledo Beats Kalamazoo 3-1March 14, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Toledo Walleye
Toledo out shot Kalamazoo 10-7 in the opening period as both goaltenders shined. Alec Richards, making his fourth consecutive start for Toledo, turned away all seven shots he faced.
"Our message to the guys tonight was to go out and have some fun," said Head Coach Nick Vitucci. "I thought our team responded with a great effort tonight, coming off of a tough weekend."
The Walleye would grab the lead in the second period. Andrej Nestrasil would collect his 6th goal of the season at 13:40 of the period when tipped Kris Belan's pass past Riley Gill. Harrison Reed also assisted on the goal that put Toledo in front after two periods.
Toledo would extend its lead to 2-0 at 12:16 of the third when Derek Brochu scored his 4th goal of the season. Todd Griffith and Paul Cianfrini collected the assists. Brochu would score his second of the period at 16:46 when he beat Gill high and to the glove side. Todd Griffith and Steve Miller assisted on the fifth goal of the year from Brochu.
The Wings would ruin Richards bid for a shutout with just 18 seconds left in the game.
Walleye Notes: Walleye goaltender Alec Richards finished with 39 saves and has a record of 7-6-0-1 on the season. Toledo is 4-4-2 against the Wings this season and is 4-3-0 in Kalamazoo. The Toledo Walleye will return home on Sunday, March 18 to play the Kalamazoo Wings at 4 p.m. Fans can enjoy green beer and everything Irish as the team celebrates the third annual St. CatTrick's Day, sponsored by The Blarney. For tickets, call (419) 725-9255 or visit www.toledowalleye.com.
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2012
- Grizzlies Beat Bakersfield 3-2; Win 4th-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Rally Past Thunder, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Aces Invade Colorado with 4-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Aces Continue Defensive Dominance Over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Express Power Past Nailers for 3-1 Win - Chicago Express
- Royals Flounder Against Florida, 8-3 - Reading Royals
- Child Nets First Professional Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Continue Offensive Woes - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brandt Leads the Gladiators to 7th Straight Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Toledo Beats Kalamazoo 3-1 - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Fall in Gwinnett, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Syvret Returns from Portland - Trenton Titans
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Condors Vs. Utah Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach McKelvie Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Ticket Information Released - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Wheeling Tonight - Chicago Express
- Eagles Sign Amateur Defenseman Isaac Smeltzer - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Gwinnett - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Eagles Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Friday, March 23 - Colorado Eagles
- Penguins Assign Samuelsson to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Add Game Plan Holder to the Roster - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - March 14 - ECHL
- Reign Lose First in Steelhead Series, 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Steelheads Hold on for 3-2 Win in Ontario - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.