Late Goal Stuns Griffins in 5-4 Loss to HoustonFebruary 11, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Grand Rapids Griffins
The Griffins had pulled McCollum in favor of an extra attacker and knotted the score at 4-4 just 17 seconds earlier on a rebound goal by Joakim Andersson from the slot, but the Aeros scored on their next shift following a turnover in the Grand Rapids zone to pull out the victory and sweep the two-game weekend set from the Griffins.
Grand Rapids will complete a rare three-in-three at home on Sunday when it faces off against the San Antonio Rampage at 5 p.m. on Brendan Smith Bobblehead Night.
The Aeros took advantage of giveaway and a fallen McCollum to strike first at 5:22 of the opening period, with Marco Scandella scoring on a blast from the left circle before the netminder could get back into position.
But Grand Rapids answered with a pair of goals before intermission, as Jamie Johnson and Chris Minard set up each other for tallies. Exactly 10 minutes after Scandella's goal, Johnson sent a pass from deep in his zone to a streaking Minard, who skated in alone on Darcy Kuemper before slipping a backhand between the goalie's pads.
Minard returned the favor at the 18:35 mark, grabbing the puck behind the net and quickly sending a pass out front to Johnson, who put the puck past Kuemper on his second whack to give Grand Rapids its first lead at 2-1.
Fabian Brunnstrom increased that cushion to two goals just 2:37 into the second frame, potting a shot from the right side and prompting Houston coach John Torchetti to use his timeout. After seeing the Griffins score three unanswered goals, the Aeros responded with the first of three straight of their own. Houston (25-13-3-9) trimmed its deficit to one thanks to a fine play on the forecheck by Jed Ortmeyer, who poke-checked the puck from Logan Pyett in the slot and watched it slide past an unsuspecting McCollum with 6:49 left in the frame.
Kris Foucault tied the score at 3-3 at the 2:55 mark of the third, firing a wrist shot from the left circle that deflected off a body in the slot and snuck inside the left post. Griffins coach Curt Fraser responded by calling a timeout of his own, but another defensive lapse proved costly at 8:31, as Justin Fontaine knocked the puck away from Pyett right to David McIntyre, who blistered a shot into the top of the net to put Houston back on top at 4-3.
In the final minute, with McCollum on the bench, the Griffins swarmed around the Houston net and had several tries before Andersson set off a short-lived celebration with his 12th goal of the season. But DiSalvatore got a piece of Drew Bagnall's shot from the point moments later, dipping the Griffins' record (19-20-4-4) below 0.500 for the first time since Jan. 17.
American Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2012
- Mancari Shoots Wolves Past IceHogs 6-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rivermen Keep Charlotte in Check - Peoria Rivermen
- Sound Tigers Rout Falcons 8-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Late Goal Stuns Griffins in 5-4 Loss to Houston - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mancari Earns 400th Career Point in Wolves' 6-2 Win - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Drop 4-1 Decision to Albany - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Come up Short in 4-1 Loss to Rampage - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Routed in Peoria - Charlotte Checkers
- Aeros win 5-4 - Houston Aeros
- 500 Is Sweet in Hershey Shootout Slugfest - Worcester Sharks
- Early Power Plays Make the Difference - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pielmeier, Special Teams Lift Devils to Victory - Albany Devils
- Repik Strikes Twice in 4-1 Rampage Win Over Amerks - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Slide Past Bears in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Whale defeat Manchester - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Score Early and Often in Sweep of Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Stun Pirates in Overtime - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Florida Panthers Recall Colby Robak - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Donate Equipment to Rochester's Citywide Floor Hockey League - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Assign Kampfer to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Battle Marlies to a 5-1 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Tonight's Rematch Against Chicago Sold Out - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Hall of Famer Joe Crozier to Attend Seneca Casinos Legends Night - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Recall Zack Kassian from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Sign Martens - Toronto Marlies
- Episode 30 Features Eric Ballard and Craig Bommer - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Ian Cole Recalled by St. Louis - Peoria Rivermen
- Ducks Return Guenin to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Vs Barons Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Jets Re-Assign Gagnon to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- IceCaps Release Lunden from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.