Flyers Assign ThreeOctober 4, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Adirondack Phantoms
Erik Gustafsson, 22 (12/15/1988), had a standout rookie season in Glens Falls in 2010-11. The smooth-skating blueliner from Kvisselby, Sweden led all Adirondack defensemen in scoring with 49 points (5g, 44a), while leading the team with 44 assists. "Gus" earned a selection to the AHL All-Star Classic in Hershey, Penn. and recorded the quickest time in the puck-handling contest in the skills competition. Erik was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team. He received multiple call-ups to the Flyers and played in three NHL games including his NHL debut February 26, 2011 at the Ottawa Senators.
Harry Zolnierczyk, 24 (9/1/1987), returns for his second season with the Phantoms. He appeared in 16 games down the stretch of the 2010-11 season following the completion of his collegiate career at Brown University (ECAC). As his team's captain at Brown, Zolnierczyk led the Bears with 16 goals in 2010-11, while also contributing 15 assists and a team-high 128 penalty minutes. A native of Toronto, Ontario, the feisty 5-foot-11, 180-pound winger scored his professional goal on March 16, 2011 against Binghamton and then followed that up with his second pro goal, at the Toronto Marlies, in a return to his hometown.
Brayden Schenn, 20 (8/22/1991), is the newcomer of the trio. He was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings along with Wayne Simmonds in exchange for Mike Richards and Rob Bordson. The highly touted Schenn led Team Canada to a silver medal at the World Junior Championships and was MVP of the tournament with 18 points. His four goals in their game against Norway equaled the all-time record for Team Canada established by Mario Lemieux and Simon Gagne. Schenn lit it up in Major Juniors last season with 21 goals and 32 assists for 53 points in just 27 games with Saskatoon. He began the season in the NHL and played in eight games with the Kings before being sent back to Major Junior to make him eligible for the World Juniors. He also played in seven games with Manchester (N.H.) of the AHL.
Schenn is the younger brother of Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn. Brayden and Luke were both drafted fifth overall in the first round. Luke was selected by Toronto in 2008 and then Brayden was chosen by Los Angeles in 2009.
With the Phantoms' 2011-12 roster nearly set, Adirondack begins finishing its preparation for the season opener on Saturday night, against the division rival Connecticut Whale. Opening faceoff at Glens Falls Civic Center is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct 8 - Connecticut Whale at Adirondack Phantoms, 7pm. OPENING NIGHT presented by Nemer Ford. Magnet Schedules presented by Great Meadow Federal Credit Union. Special Opening Night Jerseys which will be auctioned live immediately after the game.
Monday, Oct 10 - Phantoms Golf Scramble at Hiland Golf Course. One Phantoms player or staff on each foursome. Space is limited. Call the Phantoms to reserve your spot.
Mark your calendars! Adirondack Phantoms Opening Night is Saturday, October 8. The Phantoms take on the Connecticut Whale to begin the third season of exciting Phantoms hockey in Glens Falls.
Get great savings and have fun with your friends, family or co-workers by bringing your group of 15 or more fans to enjoy fast-paced, hard-hitting Phantoms hockey. Call the Phantoms to find out more at 518-480-3355 and check the team's website at phantomshockey.com.
Catch all the action of Phantoms hockey all season long on the team's flagship station, Classic Hits Q101.7 and on phantomshockey.com. Bob Rotruck, the "Voice of the Phantoms", has the broadcast coverage 30 minutes prior to game-time with Countdown to Faceoff.
The Adirondack Phantoms are now over 10,000 members strong on their social media networks. Be sure to follow us on twitter @phantomshockey and on facebook.com/adkhockey
American Hockey League Stories from October 4, 2011
- Crunch Tame Toronto 4-0, Finish Preseason Undefeated - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Announce Player Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Aeros Broadcasts Return to 1070 KNTH - Houston Aeros
- Lightning Assign Forward Dana Tyrell to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Kyle Wilson Assigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Forward Ryan Russell to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Flyers Assign Three - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Make Roster Moves - Chicago Wolves
- Red Wings Assign Five More to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Abney and Roy Assigned to Stockton - Oklahoma City Barons
- More Than 40 Rochester Americans Alumni Scheduled to Attend Home Opener - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Present the Hunt for Pink October - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Trim Training Camp Roster to 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves to Air 27 Games on Network Television - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Announce Roster Additions - Springfield Falcons
- Sabres Sign Matt Mackenzie to Three-Year NHL Contract - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Release Three from Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Sign Defensemen Finley, Fienhage to AHL Contracts - Rochester Americans
- Aeros Sign Jordan Hendry to PTO - Houston Aeros
- Bill Dodge Auto Group Named Official Sponsor of 2011-12 Pirates Regular Season - Portland Pirates
- Blackhawks Assign Salak to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Aeros Sign Jordan Hendry to PTO - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.