Cowgill Named PCL Rookie of the YearAugust 30, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Reno Aces
Cowgill becomes the first player in Aces franchise history to earn the PCL's Rookie of the Year honor. He is the second member of a Diamondbacks Triple-A affiliate to be honored, following the 2008 selection of Tucson's Josh Whitesell. The award is voted on by managers and media representatives from each PCL market.
After earning Southern League (AA) All-Star honors in 2010, Cowgill enjoyed a breakout season with the Aces in 2011. The University of Kentucky product batted .354 with 13 homers and 70 RBIs for the Aces before having his contract selected by Arizona for the first time in his career on July 26. He registered 140 hits with Reno-including 45 extra-base hits-and was successful on 30-of-33 stolen base attempts.
On Monday, Cowgill-along with teammate Cody Ransom-was named to the 2011 All-PCL Team.
Earlier this month, Baseball America tabbed Cowgill as the PCL's Best Base Runner, Best Defensive Outfielder and Most Exciting Player. Cowgill hit for the cycle on June 7, was twice named PCL Player of the Week and was a starter in the Triple-A All-Star Game.
Others receiving votes for the Rookie of the Year award were Joey Butler (Round Rock), Matt Carpenter (Memphis), David Cooper (Las Vegas), Johnny Giavotella (Omaha), Brett Lawrie (Las Vegas), Alex Liddi (Tacoma), Anthony Rizzo (Tucson) and Trayvon Robinson (Tacoma/Albuquerque).
Tonight, the Aces continue the final regular season homestand of the year before beginning their first-ever trip to the postseason. Tickets for all Aces games, including the 2011 Pacific Coast League playoffs, are available today at RenoAces.com, the Aces Ballpark Box Office or by phone at (775) 334-7000. Discounted group tickets are also available.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 30, 2011
- Teagarden's Homer Party Taxes Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Parisi Propels Isotopes to 7-3 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Take Sixth Straight Win, 7-5 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- 'Topes rally by 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Clip Zephyrs, 7-5 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Hold off Omaha 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Historic Homer Not Enough in Cubs' Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Even Road Series with 7-3 Win in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Announce Radio Schedule for Remaining Games - Round Rock Express
- US Foodservice Food Drive Set for Friday at Aces Ballpark - Reno Aces
- Rangers Place Pair on DL - Round Rock Express
- River Cats to Play Interstate 80 Rival Reno Aces in First Round of PCL Playoffs - Sacramento River Cats
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Memphis Redbirds
- Castillo Returns to Disabled List - Iowa Cubs
- Cowgill Named PCL Rookie of the Year - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Cowgill Named 2011 PCL Rookie of the Year - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Kansas City Royals Name Mendoza, Giavotella Omaha Pitcher, Player of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Ninth-Inning Homer Downs Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Walk Off Winners Against Tucson - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Clinch Division Title with 5-2 Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Hernandez's Gem Lifts Sacramento Past Las Vegas - Sacramento River Cats
- Lebron, Robinson Star in Chasers Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.