Bourjos, Holland Win Weekly AwardsJuly 26, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL)
Bourjos, who also earned the Player of the Week award for the period from July 5-11, continued a remarkable run at the plate that has seen his batting average jump from .254 to .316 since July 1st . During the week, the 23-year-old batted .514 (18-for-35) with three home runs, five doubles, nine RBI and 12 runs scored in seven games. With his eight extra-base hits, the Park Ridge, Ill., native now has 10 doubles, 12 triples and 11 homers on the season, the only player above Single-A with double-digit totals in each category.
Equally as impressive, during the month of July Bourjos leads all of professional baseball - including Major Leaguers - in batting average (.485), hits (49), runs (31) and total bases (80). His on-base plus slugging (1.311) is tops among Minor Leaguers in that span and is second only to San Francisco's Buster Posey (1.326) among all professionals.
Holland, a 24-year-old right-hander, becomes the rarest of Pitcher of the Week award recipients - a long-relief specialist with no starts or saves to his credit on the season. For the week, Holland appeared in three games, finishing the first, receiving credit for a hold in the second and picking up a win in the third. In all, Holland pitched seven innings, allowing one run, three hits and three walks while striking out 14 batters.
The Asheville, N.C., native put up his most impressive numbers in a July 22 contest in Memphis, surrendering just one hit in three scoreless frames while punching out seven Redbirds. He nearly matched the strikeout numbers three days later against New Orleans, mowing down six Zephyrs in three innings of work.
Holland is the second consecutive member of the Royals staff to earn the PCL Pitcher of the Week award, after starter Gaby Hernandez took home the honor a week ago. Holland's July 25 victory came in relief of Hernandez, who exited after four innings of work in the first game of a seven-inning doubleheader.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 26, 2010
- Rzepczynski Holds Beavers Offense in Check in 5-3 Win - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Iowa Cubs 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- 'Birds Rally, Sweep RedHawks - Memphis Redbirds
- Angels Recall Kohn, Option Bell to Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- Bourjos, Holland Win Weekly Awards - PCL
- Rainiers Outlast Sacramento in Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Take Finale from Isotopes, 12-6 - Nashville Sounds
- Bourjos Earns Second PCL Player of the Week Award - Salt Lake Bees
- Holland Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Meche Gets Mashed in Rehab Start - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zs Win in Final Game at Rosenblatt - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Buster Posey Bobblehead Giveaway Highlights Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Zephyrs Return for 9-Game Homsetand - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Homestand Preview - July 27-August 3 - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Set to Get Silly (Bandz) - Memphis Redbirds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Face Off Against Memphis Redbirds - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Omaha Royals FUNdamentals Clinic - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Portland Sets Franchise Records With 21 Runs And 32 Hits - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.