Intimidators Edge Gnats 3-2 Thursday NightMay 27, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Savannah Sand Gnats
Gnats' starting pitcher Mark Cohoon held the Intimidators scoreless into the seventh inning, fanning six. He took a 2-0 into the top of the seventh, the only inning in the game in which the Intimidators (24-24) scored. With one out, Kannapolis CF Trayce Thompson reached second on an error by second baseman Alonzo Harris. Intimidators' RF Nick Ciolli doubled him home, chasing Cohoon from the game. Savannah reliever Erik Turgeon struck out the the first batter he faced, before walking Kevin Dubler to put runners at first and second. Turgeon's wild pitch then advanced both runners, moving Dubler, carrying the go-ahead run, into scoring position. Second baseman Daniel Wagner then singled through the right side to drive home Ciolli and Dubler to give the Intimidators a 3-2 lead. Dubler just barely beat RF Cesar Puello's throw home.
For the second night in a row, the Gnats looked to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth. As was the case Wednesday, 1B Luis Rivera, batted wtih two outs and the tying run in scoring position. Wednesday, he delivered a game tying single, but Thursday, he struck out looking with 3B Jefry Marte on second to end the game.
The Gnats took a 1-0 in the second inning when Alonzo Harris singled home Rivera who had singled and stolen second. In the fifth, Rivera's RBI single brought home Marte to give the Gnats a 2-0 lead.
The Gnats travel to Rome to begin a four-game series Friday at 7 pm. Catch all of the action on News/Talk 630 and online at sandgnats.com beginning at 7 pm.
Next Home Game - KRAFT Singles Tuesday Night Tickets and Two-for-Tuesday
The Gnats return to Savannah to begin an eight-game homestand next Tuesday, June 1 with a four-game series against the Asheville Tourists.
Natty Lights are two-for-one on Tuesday nights at Historic Grayson Stadium, thanks to Budweiser.
KRAFT Singles Tuesday Night Tickets: Buy 1 Ticket, Get 1 Free from KRAFT Singles with purchase. Bring your package wrapper to Historic Grayson Stadium on Tuesdays for a steal of a deal! Visit kraftsingles.com for more info! Exclusions apply.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 27, 2010
- Intimidators Edge Gnats 3-2 Thursday Night - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Power Fall to Lexington, 5-3 - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Defeats Shorebirds, 3-1, to Take Series - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Falls Short Versus RiverDogs, Lose 7-5 - Greenville Drive
- Errors Cost Jackets Chance at Split in 5-4 Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Murphy's Home Run Downs Greenville, 7-5 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Altuve's Homer Helps Legends Get Past West Virginia - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Hold Lead, Earn Split 3-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Crawdads Edge Shorebirds 3-1 in Finale to Win Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws Game Suspended - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns-BlueClaws Suspended - Hagerstown Suns
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Fans Can Vote On SAL All-Stars - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Live Broadcast Of 2010 South Atlantic League All-Star Game - SAL
- Ware Sent To Myrtle Beach - Rome Braves
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- First Nine Innings Of Networking Sold Out For BlueClaws - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.