Dogs rally falls short in the 9th, lose 3-2 to MetsAugust 26, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) - Portland Sea Dogs
Mets starter LHP Mike Antonini (7-3) tossed seven strong innings on seven hits and two runs to earn the win. The lefty fanned three, walked three and beat Portland for the second time this season.
In the ninth inning, C Luis Exposito lined a one-out single to right field, knocking reliever LHP Roydrick Merritt out of the game. RHP Jose De La Torre issued back-to-back walks but retired 3B Iggy Suarez (strikeout) and LF Daniel Nava (ground out) to end the game. De La Torre picked up his first save in four opportunities.
Hottovy worked a perfect sixth inning but allowed a single to 3B Shawn Bowman and the homer to Davis to start the seventh. RHP Chris Province closed out the game with 1.1 scoreless innings.
RHP Ryne Miller made his professional start and fired five strong innings on two hits, one unearned run, one free-pass but fanned eight. Miller recorded a strikeout to end all five innings he pitched, retiring the final seven batters faced.
The B-Mets grabbed a 1-0 lead with an unearned run off Miller in the second inning. LF DJ Wabick reached on an infield single and advanced to second base on a passed ball. DH Salvador Paniagua hit a slow roller towards the middle which was fielding by SS Yamaico Navarro but a throwing error enabled Paniagua to reach. SS Jose Coronado laced the first pitch to left field for a sac-fly, scoring Wabick.
Portland tied the game in the next half inning off Antonini. Nava singled and move to third base on a double by RF Ryan Kalish. 3B Jorge Jimenez tied the game with a sacrifice fly to left field. 2B Ryan Khoury snapped a 1-1 tie with a run-scoring single to left-center field in sixth inning, scoring Kalish, who doubled with one out.
Wabick left the game with an injury but Jonathan Malo made three outstanding catches in left field, including a leaping grab over the wall in the fifth inning to rob Navarro of a homer.
Portland and Binghamton meet for the final time in 2009 on Thursday night beginning at 6:30 PM from NYSEG Stadium. Catch all the action on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network beginning at 6:00 PM with the Pre-Game Show built by CorrectDeck.
Notes...Miller made his first professional start in his 79th appearance of his career...Nava went 2-for-5 and has 3 consecutive multi-hit games...The Sea Dogs need to win their final six road games to finish .500 overall for the season...Kalish had two doubles after going 0-for-5 in the series opener...Portland and Binghamton will play a rubber game tomorrow night - the 'Dogs are 2-7 in rubber games.
Eastern League Stories from August 26, 2009
- Aeros Doubled Up By Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Swept in Doubleheader - Akron RubberDucks
- Mastroianni has RBI, 2 SBs on 24th birthday in 3-2 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Daniel homers to give Sens 3-2 win - Harrisburg Senators
- B-Mets Snap Losing Streak With 3-2 Triumph Over Portland - Binghamton Mets
- Altoona Stuns Trenton 4-3 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Rally In Ninth For 4-3 Win - Altoona Curve
- Dogs rally falls short in the 9th, lose 3-2 to Mets - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bumgarner Shuts Down Rock Cats 3-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Fisher Cats Offer American Defenders Fans Tickets - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hershey-Harrisburg Area named No. 1 Minor League Market - Harrisburg Senators
- RHP Alan Horne reinstated from DL, transferred to Charleston - Trenton Thunder
- Alvarez, Molleken Selected To Play In World Baseball Cup - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Media Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Wine Tasting Party to benefit the American Heart Association - New Britain Rock Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.