Defenders Fall 11-5July 20, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Connecticut Defenders
Binghamton used an error on Defender's catcher Jackson Williams to take the lead for good in the second inning and handed Connecticut their third straight loss.
Connecticut hit the scoreboard first when CF-Mike McBryde came around to score after getting hit by a pitch on an RF-Eddy Martinez-Esteve RBI single.
Binghamton would respond in a big way sending twelve batters to the plate taking advantage of two Defender errors and scoring seven runs. The B-Mets added lone runs in the third and fourth to take a comfortable 9-1 lead.
In the fifth, the Defenders showed signs of resilience as 2B-Sharlon Schoop delivered a leadoff single followed by a walk to C-Jackson Williams. Mike McBryde then took the first pitch he saw from Jake Ruckle over the leftfield wall for a three run homer (4). Connecticut added a lone run in the sixth as Martinez-Esteve drew a leadoff walk and scored on a double play ball to pull within four runs but that was as close as they would get.
The B-Mets tacked on lone runs in the seventh and eighth to cap off their eleven runs off of eleven hit night.
Binghamton's starter RHP-Jack Ruckle (1-1) earned his first win allowing five earned runs off of four hits walked a pair and struck out two in five innings of work. Defenders starter RHP-Garrett Broshuis (2-1) suffered his first loss of the season tossing just four innings allowing nine runs, just two earned off of eight hits, walked two and fanned a pair.
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2009
- 'Wolves move to second place with 6-2 win - Erie SeaWolves
- Cats walk off with 5-4 win over Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators walk over Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- New Hampshire stuns Trenton 5-4 in extras - Trenton Thunder
- Erie downs Aeros again, win 6-2 - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators offer state employees discount tickets - Harrisburg Senators
- Explosive second inning leads B-Mets to 11-5 win - Binghamton Mets
- Portland blasts Cats in opener, 19-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Fall 11-5 - Connecticut Defenders
- Portland Pounds Rock Cats, 19-1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Curve take opener 8-2 over Reading - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats make four transactions - New Britain Rock Cats
- John Ely Wins Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Player Moves - Harrisburg Senators
- Buck Night Tonight! - Erie SeaWolves
- Aerodynamics - Akron Aeros
- Two Tickets for the Price of One! - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Celebration of Negro Leagues Night Next Monday, July 27 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Eastern League Names Players of the Week - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.