Revolution acquires international roster spot from WizardsJune 30, 2009 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
"Obtaining an additional international roster spot gives us the roster freedom to sign an international player," Revolution Vice President of Player Personnel Michael Burns said. "This move gives us more leeway to sign a player now."
The Revolution now has eight international roster slots. The team entered the 2009 season with seven spots after trading one to Toronto FC in June 2009 in exchange for midfielder Pat Phelan. New England currently has seven international players on the roster: Stephane Assengue (Cameroon), Gabriel Badilla (Costa Rica), Mauricio Castro (Honduras), Kheli Dube (Zimbabwe), Kenny Mansally (Gambia), Sainey Nyassi (Gambia) and Emmanuel Osei (Ghana).
The Revolution, which will travel to Los Angeles to face the Galaxy at The Home Depot Center this Saturday, July 4 at 11 p.m. on Fox Soccer Channel, is currently 4-4-4 overall and has advanced to the semifinals of SuperLiga 2009, the annual competition between top club teams from the U.S. and Mexico. New England is the defending champion of the event and will host a special semifinal doubleheader at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday, July 15. The Revs will face the rival Chicago Fire in the first game, followed by the UNAL Tigres (MEX)-Santos Laguna (MEX) semifinal. Kickoff times will be announced at a later date. For more information, visit revolutionsoccer.net.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2009
- D.C. United to Host Harrisburg City in U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Injury-Riddled Revolution Finish Game with Only Eight Players on the Field - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Falls to Wilmington - Chicago Fire
- Chivas Falls to Charleston - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Kansas City Wizards Begin Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Play Tuesday at Minnesota Thunder - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC Releases Ticket Info for CONCACAF Qualifier - Toronto FC
- SuperLiga 2009 Semifinals Set for July 15 at Gillette Stadium - MLS
- Whitecaps Women's Soccer Series: Match 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids Sign French Defender Julien Baudet - Colorado Rapids
- Kansas City Wizards Acquire 2010 3rd Round SuperDraft Selection From New England Revolution - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution acquires international roster spot from Wizards - New England Revolution
- Crew hosts D.C. United Saturday in battle for Eastern Conference supremacy on ESPN2 - Columbus Crew SC
- Fire to "Twitter-Cast" Tonight's U.S. Open Cup Match - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.