Suns Even Series with Monday WinJune 29, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Jacksonville Suns
Kasey Olenberger (7-1) picked up the win for the Suns in relief, dealing one perfect inning. Mike Wlodarczyk (0-3) was tagged with the loss, allowing the two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Matt Peterson (18) saved the game, extending his league-leading total one night after his second blown save of the season.
The teams traded runs in the first inning. Montgomery took a short-lived lead on a two-out, solo homerun from Fernando Cortez. In the bottom of the first inning Scott Cousins doubled home a run before a Lee Mitchell groundout plated another to give the Suns a 2-1 lead.
Jacksonville extended the lead to 4-1 in the fourth inning when Lorenzo Scott belted at two-run homerun off Montgomery starter Brandon Mann.
Montgomery rallied to tie the game in the fifth inning against Suns starter Graham Taylor, scoring three unearned runs. With one out and runners at first and second base, Suns second baseman Ryan Klosterman misplayed a Cortez groundball for an error. On the play, Klosterman's throw to first base went wild allowing Desmond Jennings to score for a 4-2 score. Cesar Suarez later drove in a run with a sacrifice fly before a Rashad Eldridge RBI double tied the game 4-4.
In the middle of the eighth inning, home plate umpire Shaun Barbour left the game with assistance after taking too much of the Florida heat. Third base umpire Karl Best finished the game.
The Suns took the lead for good in the eighth inning. With the bases loaded and no outs, Chris de la Cruz flied out to shallow centerfield. Lead runner Scott Cousins was unable to tag up and score, but the runner at second base Lee Mitchell ran halfway to third ba se. After the throw from centerfield went to the plate, Montgomery catcher Matt Spring threw back toward second base wild, allowing Cousins to score on the error for a 5-4 lead. Tim Torres later singled in a run to finish the scoring at 6-4.
Suns LH Aaron Thompson will face Biscuits RH Heath Rollins in game three of the series Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Fans can enjoy Fifty-Cent Family Feast, featuring fifty-cent hot dogs, peanuts and ice cream treats. Tickets are available through the Suns box office at (904) 358-2846 or by visiting jaxsuns.com.
Southern League Stories from June 29, 2009
- Jaxx walk off Braves in 13th inning - Jackson Generals
- Smokies land six on Southern League All-Star roster - Tennessee Smokies
- Coleman, Wright lead Smokies to 7-2 win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears hold off Barons to even series - Mobile BayBears
- Barons fall just short, 6-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Mudcats Edge Chattanooga, 7-6 - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats defeat Chattanooga, 7-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies top Stars for first time in nine tries - Huntsville Stars
- Otterness Assigned to Roster - Carolina Mudcats
- Jones Activated from DL - Huntsville Stars
- North Division All-Star Rosters Announced - Birmingham Barons
- Schlereth to DL, Rumler Promoted - Mobile BayBears
- Carrera, Hubbard Named to SL North All-Star Team - Jackson Generals
- Six Mudcats Named To All-Star Team - Carolina Mudcats
- Southern League Announces 2009 North Division All-Star Roster - SL
- Suns Even Series with Monday Win - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Win a Wild One to Even Series, 6-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Celebrate July 4th with the Biscuits! - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bryan Petersen Named Southern League Hitter of the Week - Jacksonville Suns
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Reynoso Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Southern League Names Hitter, Pitcher of the Week Honors - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.