Suns Win a Wild One to Even Series, 6-4June 29, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Montgomery Biscuits
Fernando Cortez delivered the Biscuits their first lead in the first inning, batting with two outs and taking Suns' starter Graham Taylor deep to the bleachers in right field. Cortez's fourth of the season put the Biscuits on top quickly, 1-0. Just as quickly, the Suns snatched the lead away in the bottom of the inning. Montgomery starter Brandon Mann walked the leadoff man Bryan Petersen and Ryan Klosterman followed with a bunt-single to put two aboard. A batter later, Scott Cousins chipped in RBI double into short left-center field to tie the game, 1-1. Lee Mitchell then gave the Suns the lead with a bouncer to third that Cesar Suarez had no choice on but to go to first. Klosterman scored to give Jacksonville a 2-1 advantage.
Jacksonville added to their lead against Mann in the fourth inning. Lee Mitchell singled to start the inning, and Lorenzo Scott followed with a two-run blast to the bleachers in right-center field for a 4-1 lead.
Three unearned runs allowed the Biscuits to tie the game, 4-4, in the fifth inning. With one out, Desmond Jennings singled and was quickly chased to second base as Brandon Chaves singled behind him. Fernando Cortez sent a high-hopper to second baseman Klosterman that Klosterman misplayed off his chest. He compounded that error by flipping the ball over the head of first baseman Mitchell, allowing Jennings to come in and cut the lead to two, 4-2. Chaves moved to third on the multiple errors and scored when Suarez lifted a sacrifice fly to centerfield. Rashad Eldridge completed the rally with an RBI double to plate Cortez and tie the game, 4-4.
Taylor left after the uprising, not factoring in the decision. He allowed four runs -- one earned -- on five hits. Mann also left following the fifth inning. He did not record a decision, surrendering four runs, all earned, on five hits. Adalberto Mendez for the Suns and Eddie Morlan traded a pair of scoreless innings of relief and the ballgame continued into the eighth tied at four.
After nearly a 20-minute delay due to heat exhaustion suffered by home plate umpire Shaun Barbour, the Suns took the lead with two runs off reliever Mike Wlodarczyk in the eighth inning. Cousins started the game-winning rally with a single. Wlodarczyk then walked Mitchell to put two aboard. Scott attempted to lay down a sacrifice bunt, but Matt Spring played the ball to third base and didn't get Cousins loading the bases. Chris De La Cruz followed with a liner to centerfield that Jennings got to quickly. Cousins bluffed from third and returned to the bag, but Mitchell charged toward third and got hung up in-between second and third. Jennings through home to the plate and Spring's throw attempting to get Mitchell at second was wild into centerfield, allowing Cousins to score. Tim Torres delivered an RBI single later in the inning to cap the scoring, 6-4.
Matt Peterson, a night after blowing a save opportunity, worked incident-free in the top of the ninth to nail down the win and earn his league-leading 18th save.
Game three of the series is scheduled for 6:05 PM on Tuesday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Heath Rollins (6-6, 3.90) will make the start for Montgomery against LHP Aaron Thompson (3-8, 4.20) for Jacksonville.
Southern League Stories from June 29, 2009
- Jaxx walk off Braves in 13th inning - Jackson Generals
- Smokies land six on Southern League All-Star roster - Tennessee Smokies
- Coleman, Wright lead Smokies to 7-2 win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears hold off Barons to even series - Mobile BayBears
- Barons fall just short, 6-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Mudcats Edge Chattanooga, 7-6 - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats defeat Chattanooga, 7-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies top Stars for first time in nine tries - Huntsville Stars
- Otterness Assigned to Roster - Carolina Mudcats
- Jones Activated from DL - Huntsville Stars
- North Division All-Star Rosters Announced - Birmingham Barons
- Schlereth to DL, Rumler Promoted - Mobile BayBears
- Carrera, Hubbard Named to SL North All-Star Team - Jackson Generals
- Six Mudcats Named To All-Star Team - Carolina Mudcats
- Southern League Announces 2009 North Division All-Star Roster - SL
- Suns Even Series with Monday Win - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Win a Wild One to Even Series, 6-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Celebrate July 4th with the Biscuits! - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bryan Petersen Named Southern League Hitter of the Week - Jacksonville Suns
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Reynoso Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Southern League Names Hitter, Pitcher of the Week Honors - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.