Ramos Strong as Beavers Even SeriesMay 20, 2008 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Portland Beavers
Ramos (5-3), who pitched a personal season-high six innings, won for the third time in his last four starts and held the Sidewinders (16-30) to a run and three hits. The left-hander fanned two and issued two walks.
Three relievers combined to close out the final three scoreless innings, with Jared Wells logging his ninth save with a perfect inning of work in the ninth for the Beavers (21-22), who held Tucson to four hits.
The win evened the series at a game apiece and was the Beavers' 11th in their last 14 home games.
For the second game in a row, Ciofrone and Ambres were factors in the Portland offense. Ambres, who has hit safely in six straight games, doubled and scored in the second and doubled in Chase Headley in the third. With the Beavers holding a 2-1 lead in the fourth, Matt Antonelli reached on a two-out walk and scored on Ciofrone's double to right.
Barrett, with the Beavers on a major league rehab assignment, hit a pinch-hit double that scored Ray Chang in the sixth and upped the lead to 4-1.
Billy Buckner (2-4) gave up three runs, six hits and three walks in his five innings for the Sidewinders, who had a three-game winning streak come to an end.
Buckner doubled with one out in the top of the third and scored on an RBI single by Emilio Bonifacio.
NOTES: Pitcher Carlos Guevera made his second rehab appearance with Portland, working a scoreless inning of relief ... the Sidewinders committed four errors ... the four hits allowed is a new season-low for the Beavers pitching staff ... after the game, the Padres announced that they have placed pitcher Jake Peavy on the 15-day disabled list and recalled Portland pitcher Joe Thatcher.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2008
- Express steam past 'Topes 8-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Oklahoma 8 New Orleans 2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Z's lose in Oklahoma - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Fall To Redbirds, 4-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Padres Recall Thatcher, Place Peavy On Disabled List - Portland Beavers
- Ramos Strong as Beavers Even Series - Portland Beavers
- Sidewinders Stymied in Portland - Tucson Sidewinders
- Oklahoma RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Nunez Joins Zephyrs; Clark's Season Ends - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Royals Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tracy's big night gives Sidewinders third straight win - Tucson Sidewinders
- Tracy, Sidewinders Edge Portland with Late Rally - Tucson Sidewinders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.