2006 First Round Draft Pick Daniel Bard Joins Sea DogsMay 17, 2008 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
The 22 year-old Bard was a first round draft pick (28th overall) of the Boston Red Sox in the June 2006 First-Year Player Draft. Bard has made 15 appearances for the Greenville Drive this season recording a 1-0 record and 0.64 ERA. Bard has only allowed runs to score in 1 of his 15 appearances this season. He has recorded 43 strikeouts in 28 innings pitched, while walking four. He has allowed 12 hits this season as opponents are batting .129 against him this season. In 2007, his first season in professional baseball, he split time between Single-A Greenville and Single-A Lancaster posting a combined record of 3-7. The Orange Park, Florida resident attended the University of North Carolina.
Asencio, 27 years-old, has appeared in 12 games for the Sea Dogs this season going 1-2 with a 3.48 ERA. Asencio spent 2007 with the Houston Astros' organization splitting time between Triple-A Round Rock and Double-A Corpus Christi, posting a combined record of 2-6 with a 6.21 ERA. Asencio has appeared in 42 Major League games with the Kansas City Royals and Colorado Rockies posting a 7-8 career record with a 5.12 ERA. He was signed by the Boston Red Sox as a minor league free agent on January 21, 2008.
Lefty Tommy Hottovy will make his first appearance of the 2008 season today when he gets the start in game two of today's day/night doubleheader against the New Britain Rock Cats. Hottovy spent the 2007 season with the Sea Dogs going 4-10 with a 5.61 ERA. In 2006 he ranked third in the Red Sox minor league organization in strikeouts (122), tied for third in wins (10), and was seventh in ERA (3.15). He did not allow a run over his last 20 innings pitched in Portland and helped the Sea Dogs capture their first Eastern League Championship. The 26 year-old was drafted by the Red Sox in the fourth round of the June 2004 draft.
The Portland Sea Dogs play a day/night doubleheader against the New Britain Rock Cats today in New Britain, Connecticut. Game one starts at 1:05 PM, while game two is set for 6:35 PM. The Sea Dogs return to Hadlock Field on Friday, May 23rd at 6:00 PM. Tickets are available for all remaining Sea Dogs' home games. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Sea Dogs' Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or online at www.seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 17, 2008
- B-Mets Sweep Twinbill - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Outlast Phillies in Marathon - Akron Aeros
- Curve drop one to Senators, another to Mother Nature - Altoona Curve
- 'Wolves Swept In Doubleheader - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Rally for 4-3 win over New Hampshire - Trenton Thunder
- Campbell hits lead-off homer in Fisher Cats 4-3 loss at Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Local Product Fuels Record Setting Win - Bowie Baysox
- Senators edge Altoona, nightcap postponed - Harrisburg Senators
- Defs Score First, Bowie Laughs Last - Connecticut Defenders
- Rock Cats drop nightcap, 6-2 - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Dogs and 'Cats split their twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- 'Wolves Fall In Game One of Doubleheader - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats win on Tolleson's perfect day - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Get Rocked By The Cats In Game 1 - 8-4 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Mets...Doubleheader...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Notes - Akron Aeros
- Former EL All-Star Guzman joins Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- 2006 First Round Draft Pick Daniel Bard Joins Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.