Iowa benefits at NHL trade deadlineFebruary 27, 2007 - American Hockey League (AHL) Iowa Chops
Drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the second round with the 44th overall pick, in the 2003 Entry Draft. Pushkarev has played in 16 games for the Kings this season, notching two goals, two assists and eight penalty minutes: 16(2/2/4)8. A native of Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, he has also skated in 35 games with the Manchester (NH) Monarchs this season. In those 35 games with the Kings AHL affiliate, the 6-0, 180-pound right winger had four goals, 11 assists, and 29 penalty minutes: 35(4/11/15)29. He had 19 goals and 19 assists in 77 games last season with Manchester.
"Konstantin is a good young player that will add some more skill to Iowa's current lineup and aid in our push to the playoffs", commented Iowa Stars Director of Hockey Operations Scott White.
The 35-year-old Norstrom played in 62 games with the Kings this season, registering nine points (2/7/9) and 40 penalty minutes. The 6-2, 210-pound native of Stockholm, Sweden, is the Kings' all-time leader in games played among defensemen (780) and he is the fourth overall in games played in franchise history. He was also the 12th captain in club history and had worn the "C" for the Kings since the 2001-02 season.
"Mattias solidifies our defensive group and also adds character and veteran leadership to our locker room," said Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong. "He is an outstanding NHL defenseman and we are extremely happy to have acquired him today. We look for him to make an immediate impact on this hockey club as we push towards the playoffs".
A veteran of 823 career NHL games with the Kings (1996-2007) and the New York Rangers (1994-1996), Norstrom has registered 149 points (16/133/149) with 613 penalty minutes. Acquired by the Kings from the Rangers on March 14, 1996, with Ian Laperriere, Ray Ferraro, Nathan LaFayette and a fourth round draft pick (Sean Blanchard) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla, Norstrom was originally selected by the Rangers in the second round (48th overall) of the 1992 NHL Entry Draft.
A two-time NHL All-Star (1999, 2004) and two-time Olympian for Team Sweden (1998, 2002), Norstrom was selected to play at the 2006 Winter Olympics but missed the tournament for health reasons. In 31 career playoff games, he has recorded two assists and 30 penalty minutes.
IOWA STARS INFO: The Stars play in San Antonio against the Rampage again tonight. Iowa then returns home for two games: Thursday, March 1st against the Peoria Rivermen and Saturday, March 3rd against the San Antonio Rampage. The Hobey Baker Award, awarded annually to College Hockey's Top Player, will be on hand Thursday night. The Stars currently boast two former Hobey Baker Award Winners: Junior Lessard (2004) and Marty Sertich (2005). Thursday is also a 4 for $40 Night. Purchase four $21 tickets for just $40. Saturday night is Krys Barch Bobblehead Night. The first 3,500 fans will receive a bobblehead of Iowa Stars/current Dallas Stars Forward Krys Barch. It is also Boy Scout Night. Contact the Stars about bringing your troop to the game. Doors open for all home games one hour before face-off. Bring a group or hold your child's birthday at a Stars game! All ticketing information can be obtained by calling 515-23-STARS or by visiting IowaStarsHockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2007
- Rampage fall, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Monarchs Gift Wrap A Win On Max's Birthday - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Win Streak at Six, Road Streak at Seven - Iowa Chops
- Admirals Lose Third Straight Game - Norfolk Admirals
- Three former 'Dogs dealt on NHL trade deadline day - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kings Acquire Heward From Washington - Manchester Monarchs
- Iowa benefits at NHL trade deadline - Iowa Chops
- Thrashers ship Bourret to Rangers - Chicago Wolves
- Nilsson Involved in Trade for Smyth - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Acquire Right Wing Alex Bourret - Connecticut Whale
- Florida assigns newly acquired defenseman to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Lehtonen Traded by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Kings Acquire Draft Pick For Ward - Manchester Monarchs
- Kings Trade Pushkarev, Norstrom To Dallas - Manchester Monarchs
- Three Win Week for Devils - Albany Devils
- Constant Recalled from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Blackhawks Recall Martin St. Pierre - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Grab Former NHL First-Rounder - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rats to hold post-game jersey auction - Albany River Rats
- Bears acquire Scott Barney from Grand Rapids - Hershey Bears
- Helbling traded to Buffalo Sabres - Hershey Bears
- Jason Krog Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Canucks Re-assign Moran to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Canucks Assign Chouinard to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Aaron Downey assigned to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Build Bruiser a dog house - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Iowa Stars Extra broadcasts - Iowa Chops
- Iowa Stars Announce TV Show Dates and Times - Iowa Chops
- Wellar Reassigned from ECHL Alaska; Benson Signed to PTO - Peoria Rivermen
- Cumiskey called up to Colorado - Albany River Rats
- AHL announces suspensions - AHL
- Wolves Light The Lamp For Literature - Chicago Wolves
- Canadiens recall Andrei Kostitsyn - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Recall Three From Johnstown - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks gear up for huge weekend both on and off the ice - Worcester Sharks
- Knights Begin Five-Game Home Stand - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Trade Center Ben Simon to Grand Rapids in Exchange for Right Wing Ryan Keller - Syracuse Crunch
- Kings Trade Sopel To Vancouver - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.