June 19, 2013
FCD Acquires Adrian Serioux from Toronto FC for Ronnie O'BrienNovember 17, 2006 - Major League Soccer (MLS) FC Dallas
"While it was difficult to let Ronnie go, we feel that with this trade we were able to add a key player in Adrian while retaining other valuable components of our team," said FC Dallas General Manager Michael Hitchcock. "Adrian is a versatile player who played a pivotal role in Houston winning the MLS Cup, and we're confident that he will play a major role in the future success of this team."
Toronto FC, the League's 13th team which will begin its inaugural season in 2007, today selected 10 players from 11 MLS teams, though no player from FC Dallas was selected.
A member of the Canadian National Team, Serioux comes to Dallas after winning the 2006 MLS Cup with Houston in his first MLS season. The 27-year old was used in both central defense and the center of midfield by the Dynamo this season, appearing in 20 games and making 15 starts. He scored one goal for Houston during the regular season and then appeared in all four of his team's postseason games, helping lead Houston to the franchise's first MLS Cup championship.
Serioux was signed from Millwall of the English Championship by the New York Red Bulls on March 1, but never played a game for the club as he was traded to Houston three weeks later. A native of, Scarborough, Ontario, Serioux has made eight career appearances for the Canadian National Team since making his international debut in August 2004.
Ronnie O'Brien was signed by Dallas in July 2002, and was the third longest tenured players on the club behind Chris Gbandi and Bobby Rhine. In five seasons, he scored 12 goals and added 35 assists in 101 regular season games played. The 27 year-old was a three-time MLS All-Star and selected to the MLS Best XI in 2004 and 2005.
The current FC Dallas roster consists of:
Goalkeepers: Ray Burse Jr., Jeff Cassar, Shaka Hislop, Dario Sala
Defenders: Michael Dello-Russo, Chris Gbandi, Clarence Goodson, Drew Moor, Justin Moore, Bobby Rhine, Adrian Serioux, Blake Wagner, Greg Vanney, Alex Yi.
Midfielders: Arturo Alvarez, Dax McCarty, Richard Mulrooney, Ramon Nunez, Aaron Pitchkolan, Marcelo Saragosa, Simo Valakari, David Wagenfuhr,
Forwards: Kenny Cooper, Carlos Ruiz, Roberto Mina, Dominic Oduro, Alex Smith, Abe Thompson,
- Drew Moor and Ramon Nunez graduated from the Generation adidas program at the end of the 2006 season and will count as Senior Roster players moving forward.
- Players who have options years on their contracts will be informed by Dec. 1 if the team has elected to pick up or decline those options for 2007.
- Of the 28 players on the roster, seven would be part of the 10-man developmental roster: Ray Burse Jr., Dax McCarty, Blake Wagner, Aaron Pitchkolan, Michael Dello-Russo, Alex Smith, and Dominic Oduro. Developmental Roster players can be either domestic or international and must be 24 years of age or younger during the season in question. Generation adidas players are part of the Developmental Roster.
- Each MLS team (that plays in the United States) may have four Senior International players on their roster during the regular season. At this point, FCD has Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala), Shaka Hislop (Trinidad and Tobago), Adrian Serioux (Canada), Simo Valakari (Finland) and Marcelo Saragosa (Brazil), who by turning 25 in 2007 will automatically count as a Senior International. Senior Internationals are non-U.S. citizens or permanent residence who will be at least 25 years old during the year in which the season is played.
- FCD loses one Youth International Slot for the 2007 season, bringing the total YI slots available for 2007 at the moment to three. The three players on the roster today that would be classified as YI in 2007 are Ramon Nunez (Honduras), Dominic Oduro (Ghana), and Roberto Mina (Ecuador). YI players are non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents that will be at most 24 years old during the year in which the season is played. Teams may trade and acquire YI slots for any number of years. On Feb. 14, 2006, FCD acquired a Youth International spot from the Colorado Rapids for one season in exchange for a Third Round pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft and a third round pick in the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft.
- Teams must be in compliance to MLS roster size (28 total), salary budget, and roster designations (18 Senior Roster and 10 Developmental Roster players, and 4 Senior Internationals) on March 1, 2007.
- FCD currently holds six picks in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, in which the team will have the natural 9th pick:
o First Round: 9th pick (9th overall) = Natural Selection
o Second Round: 1st pick (14th overall) = acquired from Toronto FC along with Adrian Serioux in exchange for Ronnie O'Brien on Nov. 17, 2006
o Second Round: 9th pick (22nd overall) = Natural Selection
o Third Round: 2nd pick (28th overall) = acquired from Columbus on Jan. 20, 2006 in exchange for FCD's 38th overall pick in the 2006 SuperDraft, which FCD had acquired from Real Salt Lake on Nov. 15, 2004 when traded Jason Kreis to RSL for their natural 2006 4th Round SuperDraft pick (38th overall) and future considerations.
o Fourth Round: 4th pick (43rd overall) = Acquired on Jan. 19, 2005 from RSL in exchange for Brian Dunseth.
o Fourth Round: 9th pick (48th overall) = Natural Selection
o (FCD traded its natural Third Round selection to Colorado along with a Third Round Supplemental Draft pick in 2007 on Feb. 14, 2006 in exchange for a Youth International spot for one season in exchange).
Major League Soccer Stories from November 17, 2006
- Real Salt Lake Reacquires Captain Jason Kreis From Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Crew acquires Danny O'Rourke, Will Hesmer from Toronto - Columbus Crew
- Literacy Advance of Houston Announces Next Champion of Literacy Recipient - Houston Dynamo
- Fire Forward Nate Jaqua selected by Toronto FC in 2006 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Galaxy's Nagamura selected by FC Toronto - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FCD Acquires Adrian Serioux from Toronto FC for Ronnie O'Brien - FC Dallas
- D.C. United loses Rod Dyachenko in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Danny O'Rourke Taken in MLS Expansion Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Defender Adrian Serioux acquired by Toronto FC in MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Revs' José Cancela Chosen in 2006 Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- MLS Releases Results of 2006 Expansion Draft - MLS
- Revolution Extends 2007 Season Ticket Special Pricing Deadline - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.