America votes: Lugnuts are #1 minor league nicknameJuly 9, 2004 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The poll was conducted as an online companion to the article that ran on the front page of the sports section in the June 22, issue of USA Today. The article about minor league team nicknames featured the Lansing Lugnuts, their sister team in Montgomery, Alabama, the Biscuits, and several other teams from across the country.
In the recently concluded USA Today online poll, the Lugnuts rose to the top of the charts, garnering 26.65% percent of the total votes, slightly higher than their sister team, the Montgomery Biscuits, of the AA Southern League. The Montgomery Biscuits received 17.01% of the votes and finished a strong #2.
Were thrilled with the results of the poll, said Tom Dickson, team Owner and President. To have a team in their 9th season continue to draw this kind of national media attention is very exciting, but not nearly as exciting as knowing that there are still fans across the country that feel the same way about the Lugnuts as those in our own backyard.
The poll, which ran on the USA Today website, www.usatoday.com, featured a total of 10 different minor league nicknames from all different classifications of minor league baseball to choose from. The staff at USA Today selected the ten teams, which included among others the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes of the Pacific Coast League and the A Kannapolis Intimidators of the South Atlantic League.
Midwest League Stories from July 9, 2004
- Cougars shutout by the Swing, 3 - 0 - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels swat 4 home runs, rout Wisconsin, 9-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kernels klub Rattlers with four homers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kaaihue 9th Inning Homer Lifts Bees - Burlington Bees
- Kaplan Strikes Again, Silver Hawks Beat Dragons 6-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Blackburn twirls five-hit masterpiece - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streak ends as Lugnuts blow lead in 9th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Swing cruise back into first place - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Yankees lose to Snappers - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Swing news & notes - Quad Cities River Bandits
- From Kernels to Hawkeyes - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Meet the Team, Win a House - Dayton Dragons
- America votes: Lugnuts are #1 minor league nickname - Lansing Lugnuts
- Free fair tickets - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.