Zorros Fall 2-1 at San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO - Fresno's chance to secure a home playoff was put on hold as the Foxes fell 2-1 at San Antonio on Saturday.
The Foxes (16-6-8) nearly bit first, as Jaime Chavez's header at the 10th minute was punched right off the line by San Antonio goalkeeper Matt Cardone. It was the first of three solid opportunities for Fresno, with Hiroki Kurimoto and Juan Caffa earning a pair of looks over the next two minutes that went unconverted.
The hosts went on to score first, as Walter Restrepo broke away for a right-footed finish at the 15th minute. Trailing 1-0, Fresno kept knocking on the door in search of an equalizer and went into the halftime break with four shots on target to San Antonio's two.
In the second half, the Foxes again came out firing and earned a golden opportunity as substitute Jackson was taken down just above the 18. That set up a free-kick for left winger Alex Cooper, who cleanly split the San Antonio wall and left Cardone frozen as his shot curled just inside the right post for the equalizer.
Two minutes later, Cooper sparked another chance, sending in a cross to Chavez that was again parried away by Cardone. Fresno saw two more opportunities from Jackson and Suleiman Samura but was unable to find the final touch inside in the penalty area.
The hosts eventually found a game-winner at the 68th minute from Moises Hernandez who snuck one just inside the left post.
As tensions rose to secure points in San Antonio, the aggression rose with it, resulting in seven yellow cards in the second half - seven to San Antonio (Yaro, Restrepo, Castillo, Parano) and three to Fresno FC (Samura, Jackson, Geffrard)
Fresno FC remains in the Lone Star State, playing at El Paso Locomotive on Wednesday, Oct. 2 at 5:30 p.m. PT. The Foxes return home next weekend, hosting Tacoma Defiance on Saturday, Oct. 5th at Chukchansi Park. Tickets for the match, and the club's regular-season finale on Oct. 12th, are on sale now at FresnoFC.com and the Chukchansi Park Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 28, 2019
- Reno Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Recap: Rodriguez and Obregon Jr. Shine in Big Toros Win over OC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- ATL UTD 2 Earns 1-1 Draw at Saint Louis FC - Atlanta United 2
- Indy Eleven Falls at Pittsburgh in Fight for First in East - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Draws 1-1 against Atlanta United 2 - Saint Louis FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Las Vegas Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Hounds Climb to Second in Standings, Defeat Indy, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 2-1 Comeback Victory over Reno 1868 FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Zorros Fall 2-1 at San Antonio - Fresno FC
- San Antonio FC Defeats Fresno 2-1 in Front of Sellout Crowd - San Antonio FC
- Lights FC Win 3-1 on the Road with Huge Second Half in Colorado Springs - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Memphis 901 FC Routs Bethlehem Steel FC, 5-0 - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to Nashville SC 2-0 at Segra Field - Loudoun United
- Fury FC Fall 3-1 on the Road Despite Strong First Half - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Earns Vital Come-From-Behind Victory over Ottawa Fury FC - North Carolina FC
- Charlotte Dominates Hartford - Charlotte Independence
- Ten-Man Rowdies Score Twice Late in 2-2 Draw against Louisville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Moves into First Place with 2-0 Win over Loudoun United FC - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Falls in Final Road Match of the Season - Hartford Athletic
- Reno 1868 FC V Real Monarchs SLC Lineup Notes - Reno 1868 FC
- Fresno FC vs. San Antonio FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Athletic Heads to Charlotte for Final Road Match of the Season - Hartford Athletic
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Memphis 901 FC - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Nashville SC Staying Focused and Forward-Thinking Ahead of Final Road Clash at Loudoun - Nashville SC
- Roughnecks Face Final Away Match against Tacoma Defiance - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Tampa Bay Rowdies Tonight - Louisville City FC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Loudoun United FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview