Zeiler Joins LA Kings Affiliate Manchester
LUBBOCK, TX: September 20, 2006 - Tuesday, former Cotton Kings forward John Zeiler signed a one year contract with the American Hockey League's (AHL) Manchester Monarchs, which serves as the top affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings.
Zeiler, 23, briefly became a free agent two weeks ago after the Phoenix Coyotes, who drafted Zeiler in 2002, did not negotiate an entry-level contract with him. The Pittsburgh native was picked up by the Los Angeles Kings and appeared on their prospects squad in the Pacific Division Shootout Prospects Tournament two weeks ago. The Kings lost out to the Coyotes in the event, but Zeiler had a successful tournament including a two point performance (a goal and an assist) in the first of two championship games held during the event.
The St. Lawrence University product began his pro career last season with the Lubbock Cotton Kings during the final week of the regular season and registered a pair of goals in four games. At the conclusion of the Kings season, Zeiler was called up to San Antonio of the AHL and appeared in eight games with the Coyotes top affiliate. Zeiler spent the summer in various Coyotes prospect camps but now is in the Los Angeles Kings system. He sees his first action with the Monarchs this Saturday as the Monarchs battle the Worcester Sharks in exhibition play.
The Cotton Kings are currently preparing for their eighth season of professional hockey in the South Plains. The season opener is set for Saturday, October 21st, as Lubbock hosts the Odessa Jackalopes at the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. Season ticket and corporate sponsorship information for the upcoming season is available by contacting the Cotton Kings office at (806) 747-7825. Additional 'Kings info can be found online via their official site at www.cottonkings.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 20, 2006
- RiverKings announce camp schedule, Fan Fest - Mississippi RiverKings
- Lundmark to Play Overseas - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Return One, Add Two - Colorado Eagles
- Mudbugs Defense Bulks Up - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Goaltender Michael Clements Signs With Lubbock - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Zeiler Joins LA Kings Affiliate Manchester - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Weingartner, Murphy back with Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Trio adds depth to Rayz roster - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Announce Pre-Season Schedule - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.