Xplorers assignee Fischer signs with Detroit Lions
SOUTHAVEN --- The Memphis Xplorers of af2 announced today that a player that was assigned to them prior to the 2006 season has been signed by the Detroit Lions of the National Football League. WR/DB Brett Fischer was assigned to the Xplorers in late February, attended the team's training camp but did not play in any games.
"We are excited that Brett is getting this opportunity," Xplorers Head Coach Danton Barto said. "We knew that when he was assigned to us that this might happen for him. This is another example of the kind of player that we have been able to attract."
The six-foot, 195 pound Fischer signed a one year contract as a free agent with the Lions last week. He was with the Kansas City Chiefs for their training camp in 2005 after signing as an undrafted free-agent. In college at Division II Missouri-Rolla, he finished with 155 receptions, 1,976 yards and 14 touchdowns. During his senior season in 2004, he set school marks for receptions for a season (72), single season receiving yards (1,040) and career receiving yards.
The Xplorers are 3-1 on the season and host the Macon Knights this Saturday night at 7 p.m. at the DeSoto Civic Center.
The Memphis Xplorers...2005 ArenaCup Champions
The Xplorers are defending their Arena Cup Championship in 2006 and you can be in on the action.
Take advantage of the Xplorers 4-Pack or fantastic discounts for groups of 15 or more. Don't miss all the action of the "50-Yard Indoor War." For ticket information call the Xplorers office at 662-342-1755. Single game tickets can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, by calling 901-525-1515 or in person at the DeSoto Civic Center box office during business hours.
Listen to all the action on the radio home of the Xplorers, 730 ESPN.
Be sure to head to O'Charley's on Goodman Road in Southaven after every Xplorers home game for the official post game party.
Listen to the Danton Barto Show every Monday at 6pm on 730 ESPN live from The Fox and Hound in Southaven.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 25, 2006
- Bakersfield Blitz Add New WR/LB Ryan Karr and FB/LB Gil Hernandez - Bakersfield Blitz
- Nick Onaindia and J.J. Johnson on the Coach's Show - Bakersfield Blitz
- Xplorers and Third Coast Sports introduce "Faith Night" this Friday - Memphis Xplorers
- Jefferson named U.S. Army Ironman of the Week - Alabama Vipers
- Speedy Wolves' OS wins Schutt Offensive Player of the Week award - Manchester Wolves
- af2 names week four award winners - af2
- Xplorers assignee Fischer signs with Detroit Lions - Memphis Xplorers
- Louisville Fire game notes - Louisville Fire
- Birmingham Steeldogs game notes - Alabama Steeldogs
- Week four af2 game recaps - af2
- Yard Dawgz Salute the United States Military - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.