Wranglers acquire QB Adrian McPherson in trade
AUSTIN-The Austin Wranglers completed a trade with the Utah Blaze for quarterback Adrian McPherson in exchange for future considerations, the team announced today.
McPherson (6-3, 218, Florida State), the Arena Football League's 2004 "Rookie of the Year," enters his second season in the league. He played with Indiana Firebirds in his lone season, completing 209-of-352 passes for 2,965 yards and 56 touchdowns in 14 games. The former Seminole also added 65 rushes for 259 yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground.
Following 2004, he was selected by the Nashville Kats in the AFL's dispersal draft and selected in 2005 by the Utah Blaze in the expansion draft but never saw action with these teams.
"We are excited to bring Adrian McPherson to the Wranglers to compete at the quarterback position next season," said Wranglers General Manager Glyn Milburn. "He is a tremendous athlete and is a dual threat with both his passing and running abilities."
Eligible for the 2005 NFL Draft, he was selected in the fifth round (152nd overall) by the New Orleans Saints and served as the Saints third quarterback for all 16 games that season. He attended training camp with the Saints in 2006, but was released prior to the regular season.
McPherson played college football at Florida State (2001-02), seeing action in nine games as a true freshman and started four as a sophomore. In his second season at Florida State, McPherson was used as a backup but still managed to complete 80-of-155 passes for 1,017 yards and 12 touchdown passes, while adding 180 yards rushing. He is the only athlete ever to be named Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball in the State of Florida during his senior year at Southeast High School. McPherson was also selected the Gatorade Florida Football Player of the Year in 2000.
Don't wait to get your season tickets to Ambush Arena in 2007. Coming off their most successful season in franchise history, the Wranglers are geared up for a run at ArenaBowl XXI. To reserve your season tickets, call the Wranglers ticket office at (512) 339.3939 or for ticket information log on to www.austinwranglers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from November 15, 2006
- Familiar Face Joins The Rattlers At QB - Arizona Rattlers
- L.A. Avengers sign wide receiver Chris Cole - Los Angeles Avengers
- Blaze trade QB Adrian McPherson to Wranglers - Utah Blaze
- Home Away From Home Food Drive underway - Utah Blaze
- SaberCats re-sign free agent QB Mark Grieb - San Jose SaberCats
- Neil Smith to appear at Hy-Vee in Raytown for Third and Long Foundation - Kansas City Brigade
- Wranglers acquire QB Adrian McPherson in trade - Austin Wranglers
- Chicago Rush Sports Lounge to open November 24 - Chicago Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.