Woodford's Arm, Arozarena's Bat Lead to Cardinals Win
Jupiter, FL - Jake Woodford tossed seven shutout innings and Randy Arozarena hit a three-run home run to lead the Palm Beach Cardinals (34-21) to a 5-0 win over the Fort Myers Miracle (26-30).
Jake Woodford got the start and cruised his way to throwing seven innings of shutout baseball, giving up only three hits on the day, while striking out four and walking none.
The Cardinals jumped on the board early in the first inning as Randal Grichuk drew a walk on a nine pitch at bat with two out in the first. Chris Chinea hit a single to center to reach base safely for his 21st straight game. Rand Arozarena took advantage of the two out walk and single by hitting a three run blast over the left field wall, his fifth of the season, to give the Cardinals the 3-0 lead after the first.
In the bottom of the second, Tanner English hit a double to left field and tried to stretch the double into a triple, but Arozarena threw out English at third. Woodford gave up another double two batters later, but got out of the second unscathed as he got a ground out off the bat of Alex Perez to end the inning.
Palm Beach added a run in the fourth as Leobaldo Pina drew a one out walk in the inning and got to second on a ground out. Luke Dykstra hit a double to the gap in left center to drive in Pina and make it 4-0.
The Cardinals put one more run on the board in the fifth as well to go up 5-0. Tommy Edman reached on a single and Randal Grichuk hit a stand up triple to the deep left-center gap.
Woodford gave up one last hit in the seventh to Zander Wiel, but got out of the seventh still keeping the game scoreless. Andrew Morales pitched a scoreless eighth and Estarlin Arias threw a scoreless ninth to keep the 5-02 shutout.
The Cardinals and Miracle play game three of the series tomorrow night at 6:30 PM EST as junior Fernandez takes the hill for the Cardinals.
Images from this story
Palm Beach Game Recap 6-4
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 4, 2017
- Long Shed Blue Jays, 6-5 - Daytona Tortugas
- Mets Sweep Doubleheader vs. Fire Frogs - St. Lucie Mets
- Homer-Happy T-Yanks Hammer Jupiter in Rain-Shortened Game - Tampa Yankees
- Woodford's Arm, Arozarena's Bat Lead to Cardinals Win - Palm Beach Cardinals
- - Cardinals Blank Miracle in 5-0 Loss - Fort Myers Miracle
- Sunday's Stone Crabs Game in Clearwater Postponed - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- June 4: Marauders and Flying Tigers Postponed - Bradenton Marauders
- It's T-Shirt Time - Daytona Tortugas
- Flying Tigers Return Home Thursday for Four-Game Series against Mets - Lakeland Flying Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game