Woodchucks Win with 9th Inning Walk-Off
Wausau, Wisc. - The Wausau Woodchucks (29-27) endured a long battle against the Madison Mallards (23-34) on a chilly Thursday evening, winning in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the 9th inning with a score of 8-5. Chucks pitcher Jace Baumann (UW-Stout) put on a show, pitching a full 5 innings and giving up just three runs.
After a quiet first inning, the Woodchucks got things started off with a bang, scoring two runs in the bottom of the 2nd. The game remained quiet on both fronts for the next several innings thanks to strong pitching, however the Mallards managed to sneak in a few runs to take a 5-2 lead.
Wausau would rally back in the bottom of the 7th inning with a clutch double by Chase Hug (Evansville) to make things interesting, eventually scoring himself on a base knock by Nik Levensteins (North Georgia) to tie things up at 5 runs apiece.
The Chucks and Mallards were in a gridlock as the game went into the bottom of the 9th inning. After a walk and an error put two on base for the Woodchucks, Tyler Cox (Eckerd) took advantage of the opportunity by launching the game-winning three-run homerun over the right field wall to give the Chucks the win.
The Woodchucks will return to Athletic Park Sunday, July 31st to face the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders at 1:05pm. Sunday's game is Faith and Family Day. Come cheer on the Chucks and enjoy family, friends and fellowship! Tickets can be purchased online at https://wausau-woodchucks.nwltickets.com/ or by calling 715.845.5055.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 28, 2022
- Rockers Win Fourth Straight Game Versus Dock Spiders - Green Bay Rockers
- Kingfish Drop Both Games of Doubleheader to Traverse City - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards Show off Pop, Fall in Wausau - Madison Mallards
- Lakeshore Falls to Wisconsin Rapids on the Road - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Fish So Nice, They Fried It Twice - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Clinch Winning Homestand with Blowout Win over Bucks - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Win with 9th Inning Walk-Off - Wausau Woodchucks
- Rivets Sweep Doubleheader against Battle Jacks - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Loggers Drop Game Two in Willmar, 5-4 - La Crosse Loggers
- Spitters Take Game One of Doubleheader, Win Fifth Straight - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rockers Begin Two-Game Home Series with Dock Spiders - Green Bay Rockers
- Stingers Complete Comeback to Sweep Loggers, 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Dominant Bullpen Leads Honkers to Doubleheader Split - Rochester Honkers
- Kingfish Fall to Traverse City in Series Opener - Kenosha Kingfish
- Wisconsin Rapids Whoops Wausau in Doubleheader Sweep - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.