'Wings score five twice, beat Aces
Harlingen Texas - The Harlingen WhiteWings scored five runs in an inning twice as they beat the Alexandria Aces 13-6 Saturday at Harlingen Field. Aces starter Alexis Sosa had his worst outing of the year as he lasted just two-thirds of an inning. The left-hander walked the first three batters of the game. Ryan Fox knocked them all home with a double to left. Two batters later, Kevin Griffin hit a ground-rule double to left to score Fox. The Wings ended the scoring in the first with an RBI single by Joel Gonzalez to put Harlingen on top 5-2. The WhiteWings scored five again in the sixth. Leading 7-6, Trey Hendricks hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to push across the first run. Two batters later, again with the bases loaded, Greg Sillivent singled home David Cardona. After a Matt Lawman walk forced another run home, David Fowler capped off the five-run sixth with a two-run single putting Harlingen ahead 12-6. The Aces had two newcomers to the team have great games. Former WhiteWing Brian Nichols took the first pitch he saw as an Ace over the left-field wall for a two-run homer, his tenth of the year. He finished the day, 3-5 with a home run and a double. Also, Larry Bethea made his first start as an Ace. He hit his first home run of the year in sixth, a solo shot. He went 2-3 and was also hit by a pitch. He was hit in the top of the seventh and both benches cleared. Although no punches were thrown, Aces manager Ricky VanAsselberg and Friday's starter Angel Guzman were ejected along with Harlingen catcher Kevin Griffin. Alexis Sosa gave up all five runs on three hits. He walked three and hit a batter in the no decision. The Aces and WhiteWings will continue their three-game series as Aces All-Star Chad Linder takes the mound against Armando Casas, who makes his second start of the year. Game time is 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 2, 2008
- WhiteWings Use Five-Run Innings to Beat Aces - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Henschel leads Colts to 4-1 win in Laredo - San Angelo Colts
- 'Wings score five twice, beat Aces - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes Lose Opener - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos' Win Streak Snapped at 3 in Loss to Colts - Laredo Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th