Wings Advance to NAHL Championship Game
Aberdeen Wings goalie Matt Vernon stopped all 30 shots that came his way in a Game 3 win on Sunday.
Robertson Cup Semi-Final #2, Game 3: Aberdeen Wings 3 vs. Amarillo Bulls 0 (Aberdeen wins series, 2-1) - Aberdeen Wings goalie Matt Vernon stopped all 30 shots that came his way to lead his team to a 3-0 shutout win in Game 3 of the Robertson Cup Semi-Finals and clinch a spot in Tuesday's National Championship Game. The Wings jumped out to a 1-0 lead less than three minutes into the game as Jonathan Bendorf shelved a shot over the shoulder of Bulls goalie Jason Grande for what would be the eventual game-winning goal. Late the 2nd period after both goalies were able to make several spectacular saves, the Wings pushed the lead to 2-0 thanks to a goal from Max Salpeter, who was left alone in the high slot and buried a shot past the blocker of Grande. Vernon and the Wings held the Bulls scoreless through the 3rd period and John Sladic added an empty-net goal to secure the 3-0 win and spot in the title game for the Wings. Grande made 20 saves in the Bulls loss. Boxscore
The Wings advance to the NAHL Robertson Cup Championship Game Tuesday at Fogerty Arena in Blaine, MN. They will take on the Fairbank IceDogs at 7pm.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Perrone Commits to the University of Alaska Anchorage - New Jersey Junior Titans
- Recent Black Bears Alum and Junior Hockey Graduate Bradley Jenion Commits to Trine University - Maryland Black Bears
- Wings Advance to NAHL Championship Game - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Season Ends After Loss - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.