Wingnuts Roll to Opening Night Win
WICHITA, Kans. - Behind 14 strikeouts from the pitching staff and a four-run bottom of the fourth, the Wichita Wingnuts cruised to an 8-2 opening night victory over the Kansas City T-Bones on Friday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The win was the first in the managerial career for Brent Clevlen, and marked the final Opening Day in the 85-year history of Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Wingnuts starter Travis Banwart (1-0) punched out eight hitters over five strong innings, surrendering just a two-run homer to Kansas City's Cal Towey in the top of the fourth. The Wichita offense quickly responded in the bottom of the frame, tying the game with RBI singles from Abel Nieves and Zach Nehrir before Logan Trowbridge rifled a two-run double to give the Wingnuts a 4-2 lead.
Wichita (1-0) broke the game open in the sixth, adding three runs on a two-run double from Nehrir and a Leo Vargas sacrifice fly for a 7-2 advantage. A wild pitch plated the game's final run in the bottom of the seventh.
While the Wingnuts offense was heating up, the Wichita bullpen kept the T-Bones (0-1) bats at bay. Seth Harvey started the parade with two scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out two. Brady Bowen's Wingnuts debut produced a shutout frame in the top of the eighth, and Parker Sanburn punctuated the evening by striking out the side in the ninth to strand a pair of Kansas City baserunners.
T-Bones starter Luis Paula (0-1) was charged with the loss, allowing three unearned runs over 3.2 innings. Kansas City committed four errors in the game, leading to five unearned tallies.
The Wingnuts and T-Bones continue their series Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05. Casey Harman (0-0, 0.00) gets the start for Wichita, while righty Hunter Adkins is the projected starter for Kansas City. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 18, 2018
- Fateful Fifth Inning Dooms Dogs in Inaugural Game - Chicago Dogs
- Explorers Double up on Win Total with Victory over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Double Plays Derail Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Clipped by Railroaders on Opening Night - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk-Off Goldeyes on Opening Night - Cleburne Railroaders
- 7-Run 2nd Inning Paces RailCats to 10-5 Season-Opening Victory - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Roll to Opening Night Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Imperfect 10, Saints Doubled-Up by RailCats on Opening Night in 10-5 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- One Heck of a Signing, Saints Ink Benilde-St. Margaret, UMD Standout, Outfielder Jimmy Heck - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Implementing Clear Bag Policy at Haymarket Park - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Opening Homestand Full of Stranger Things from May 21-27 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Travel to Sioux Falls for First Ever Series - Chicago Dogs
- Explorers Rally in Ninth Inning for Opening Day Win - Sioux City Explorers
- 9th Inning Outburst Dooms Saltdogs on Opening Night - Lincoln Saltdogs