Explorers Rally in Ninth Inning for Opening Day Win
Lincoln, NE - The Sioux City Explorers scored 3 runs in the ninth inning against the Lincoln Saltdogs to get the victory in the 2018 season opener.
Lincoln began the scoring in the bottom of the first. Ivan Marin walked and scored from first base when Nathaniel Maggio roped a double down the right field line to make it 1-0 Saltdogs.
The Explorers answered back in the top of the second. Nate Samson lead off with a base hit followed by a Nelson Ward double to the right center field gap. The X's had runners on second and third with nobody out. After two batters failed to bring them home Dylan Kelly came through with a two out, two run single to give the X's a 2-1 lead.
The Saltdogs tied the game in the bottom of the second when Chase Simpson scored on a Christian Ibarra base hit off of Sioux City starter Luis Mateo. Mateo in his X's debut threw five innings of two run ball, giving up four hits, striking out four but allowing five walks.
Sioux City took the lead again in the fourth when Nelson Ward lead off with a triple, before Jay Baum hit a two run home run to dead center field to put the X's ahead 4-2.
Both teams were held scoreless till the Saltdogs tied the game in the bottom of the eighth with a Angel Reyes two run opposite field home run off Explorers reliever Eric Karch.
But Sioux City would answer right back in the ninth inning off of Saltdogs relief pitcher Shairon Martis. Daniel Jackson lead off with a walk, he then advanced to second on a Luis Durango sacrifice bunt. Michael Lang then drove him home with a triple to deep left center field giving the X's the lead. Lang would score on a Jay Austin groundout. Samson would get on with a base hit and come around to score when Jay Baum drove him in for his third RBI of the game.
With the Explorers ahead 7-4 Geoff Broussard came in and recorded his first save of the season. Eric Karch picked up the win for Sioux City while Shairon Martis was charged with the loss for Lincoln. Sioux City pounded out 14 hits in the game and the X's begin the season 1-0.
The Explorers and Saltdogs will play a four game series from Lincoln with game two on Friday night and first pitch scheduled for 7:05 pm. You can listen to all Sioux City Explorers games on 1360 AM/94.9 FM KSCJ with pregame beginning 30 minutes before first pitch.
Order your tickets for the 2018 home opener (May 25th) by stopping down to the stadium box office at Mercy Field at Lewis & Clark Park, online at www.xsbaseball.com, or by calling 712-277-WINS (9467). Group rates available for groups of 20 or more for all (50) home games on the 2018 schedule!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 18, 2018
- Fateful Fifth Inning Dooms Dogs in Inaugural Game - Chicago Dogs
- Explorers Double up on Win Total with Victory over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Double Plays Derail Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Clipped by Railroaders on Opening Night - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk-Off Goldeyes on Opening Night - Cleburne Railroaders
- 7-Run 2nd Inning Paces RailCats to 10-5 Season-Opening Victory - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Roll to Opening Night Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Imperfect 10, Saints Doubled-Up by RailCats on Opening Night in 10-5 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- One Heck of a Signing, Saints Ink Benilde-St. Margaret, UMD Standout, Outfielder Jimmy Heck - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Implementing Clear Bag Policy at Haymarket Park - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Opening Homestand Full of Stranger Things from May 21-27 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Travel to Sioux Falls for First Ever Series - Chicago Dogs
- Explorers Rally in Ninth Inning for Opening Day Win - Sioux City Explorers
- 9th Inning Outburst Dooms Saltdogs on Opening Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.