Wingnuts Capitalize on Extra-Base Hits and Errors to Win Series
WICHITA, KS (July 22, 2015) - It took five innings for the Wichita Wingnuts offense to get started on Wednesday morning against Jeremy Strawn. By the time they were able to string some hits together they were already trailing by a pair of runs. Once the Nuts got on the board, they kept the pressure on the Sioux Falls defense with a barrage of hard hit balls that most often turned into extra bases or errors. The Wingnuts used three errors and six extra-base hits to finish the contest with a 7-4 lead and take three of the four games in the series.
For the third straight game, the first two hitters for the Canaries (23-35) reached base to give the visitor an early scoring opportunity. Chris Grayson worked the count full and then singled sharply to right off of Tim Brown (7-1). Jerome Pena immediately followed with a run-scoring double and the score was 1-0.
The lead grew by one run in the third inning on a pair of Sioux Falls doubles. Jake Luce started the frame with a line drive into the right field corner and then came around to score when David Bergin also ripped a two-bagger with two outs. Bergin's 35th RBI of the year pushed the lead to 2-0.
Jeremy Strawn (2-8) held the Wingnuts without a run until the home fifth. After leaving the bases loaded in the third inning, the home team was determined to cash in on another opportunity. With two on base courtesy of a Harrison Kain single and a walk to David Espinosa, T.J. Mittelstaedt smacked an opposite field double to tie the score. One batter later, Starlin Rodriguez drove a ball off the top of the wall in left for a run-scoring triple. Rodriguez was stranded on third, but the Wingnuts (35-23) had a 3-2 lead.
A two-out mishap by the Canaries shortstop Pena led to another three runs scoring in the next stanza. The infielder threw low on a routine groundball from Luis Hernandez that should have ended the inning. Kain backed up the mistake with a double to put two runners in scoring position. Jayce Ray came to the plate and also doubled, driving in both runs in the process. All three runs scored to give the Nuts a 6-2 lead were unearned.
In Brown's final inning on the mound, the seventh, an error by Rodriguez proved costly. Luce reached when the Wingnuts second baseman mishandled a roller. The runner moved to third on back-to-back fielder's choice groundouts. David Bergin and Brian Humphries knocked consecutive doubles to drive in two runs and close the gap to 6-4. Brown departed with two outs in the seventh having allowed four runs, two earned, on 11 hits. Alex Boshers finished off the inning without further damage.
Wichita quickly responded with a run off of recently traded teammate Al Yevoli in the bottom half. With two outs, Matt Padgett muscled a single into center and then scored when Joash Brodin doubled off the wall in left.
Frankie Reed and Dakota Watts each faced the minimum in the eighth and ninth innings. Reed struck out a batter and has still not allowed a hit to a left-handed hitter. Watts has worked 11.0 scoreless innings since joining the Wingnuts and picked up his seventh save of the season.
The Wingnuts will hit the road for 14 straight games beginning on Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. against the Laredo Lemurs. RHP Jason Van Skike (5-2) will take the hill for the opening game of the season. For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2015
- Blasters Road Woes Continue in Laredo - Joplin Blasters
- Barnes Terrific for T-Bones in Shutout - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bottoms Up, Saints Come from Behind for 6-5 Victory and 16th Series Win - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Comeback, Only to Lose Late - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Drop Series Finale, Split with New Jersey - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wingnuts Capitalize on Extra-Base Hits and Errors to Win Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- Canaries Drop Series Finale on Wednesday Afternoon - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Acquire Oldham, Release Harris, Activate Englebrook - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Acquire LHP Al Yevoli from Wichita - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts Clip Canaries 3-1 - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Escape Wild Game with 13-12 Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Wichita Defeats Canaries 3-1 in Game Three - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Record Night, Saints Get to 31 over .500 for First Time in Franchise History with 5-4 Win - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.