Wilmington holds off Vermont 96-90, advance
Wilmington, NC - The Wilmington Sea Dawgs were able to overcome a late rally by Vermont and defeated the Frost Heaves 96-90 in the "one-and-done" play-in game. Wilmington advances to play the Battle Creek Knights in the first round of the playoffs.
Wilmington, who led by 26 points with 7:58 remaining in the third quarter, were led by Brian Leggett's game-high 21 points and 11 rebounds. Alex Harper added 18 points while Kris Clark had 14 points to go along with eight assists and six rebounds.
Vermont was led by Benson Callier and Joseph Williams who each scored 14 points respectively.
After a furious comeback by Vermont, the Frost Heaves found themselves trailing 93-90 with 25 seconds remaining and possession. John Williams misfired a three-pointer with 13 seconds left and Wilmington sealed the game at the foul line.
With the win, the Sea Dawgs advance to the first round of the playoffs where they will play a best-of-three series with the top seed Battle Creek Knights. Game one is set for Friday evening in Wilmington at 6:30PM.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from April 1, 2009
- Frost Heaves Comeback Falls Short - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Wilmington holds off Vermont 96-90, advance - Wilmington Sea Dawgs
- Manchester-Rochester Showdown at Hand - Saint John Riptide
- Wild Card Game Webcast Live - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Rod Baker Named PBL Coach of the Month - PBL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Sea Dawgs Stories
- HoopForLyfe Outlasts the Wilmington Sea Dawgs 107-100
- Wilmington Sea Dawgs Chase Down the Johnston County Nighthawks
- Big Texas Races to Big Win over Wilmington Sea Dawgs, 123 - 111
- Queen City Express Outlasts Wilmington Sea Dawgs, 100-95
- Sea Dawgs Passed over by Crossover in Home Opener