Whitehead Extends Streak to 11 in 5-1 Victory
COLUMBUS, GA -- The Mississippi RiverKings (20-23-8) picked up goals from five different players as they knocked off the reeling Columbus Cottonmouths (24-22-4) in Columbus 5-1 on Friday night.
The Snakes jumped on the 'Kings first. Matt Gingera tallied his team-leading 24th goal of the year as Columbus took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The 'Kings responded with three unanswered goals in the second. Mike MacDonald redirected a Tyler Sheldrake shot from the blueline past Ian Vigier to tie the game at one midway through the second. Late in the period, the 'Kings capitalized on a pair of power plays. Darrell Stoddard one-touched a Tom Craig pass past Ian Vigier to put the visitors ahead by one with under three minutes left. Then, Craig scored a goal of his own two minutes later as he redirected a Kevin Willer pass over Vigier to put the 'Kings ahead 3-1 after two.
In the third, the 'Kings extended their lead. Matt Whitehead pushed his point-streak to 11 games with his goal 14:48 into the final frame. Whitehead added an assist as he fed Matt Harrington on a breakaway to give the RiverKings the 5-1 victory.
Matt Krahn (12-13-4) stopped 24 of 25 shots against in the victory. Ian Vigier (8-15-3) turned aside 27 of 32 in the loss.
The RiverKings hit the ice tomorrow night in Huntsville against the Havoc. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m. with all the action airing live on Sports 56, 87.7FM and the America One Sports Network. For more information on all things RiverKings, "like" us on Facebook (facebook.com/mississippiriverkings) and "follow" us on Twitter (twitter.com/riverkings).
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2013
- Ice Flyers Beat Fayetteville 6-5 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- IceBears Maul IceGators - Louisiana IceGators
- Knoxville Swamps Louisiana 6-1 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Whitehead Extends Streak to 11 in 5-1 Victory - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge Get Their Kicks Sunday - Mississippi Surge
- Augusta RiverHawks Sunday, March 10 Home Game Time Shifted - Augusta RiverHawks
- Boyer Leads IceGators to Shootout Victory over RiverHawks - Louisiana IceGators