IceBears Maul IceGators
Knoxville, Tennessee--The Cardiac Crocodilians flatlined Friday night. Six different Knoxville players scored to lead the IceBears to a 6-1 victory over the Louisiana IceGators. Louisiana goalie Mike Dilorenzo allowed four goals in the first 15 minutes of the game.
"That's what happens when you get satisfied and think you can just show up and play," said IceGators coach Kevin Kaminski. "We were a perimeter team. No one went to the net. We were all fluff and no substance. We played with no emotion, no jam, and no determination. We were flat all around and got outworked in every aspect of the game."
The IceGators found themselves in a 2-0 hole after the first 11 minutes of the game. Emery Olauson and Matt Pierce scored to put the IceBears ahead early. The IceGators lone goal came at the 11:35 mark of the first when Robert Short scored unassisted to make it a 2-1 game.
The IceBears responded with four unanswered goals, including two more in the first period. Mark Van Vliet and Ben Souders gave the IceBears a 4-1 lead heading into the first intermission. David Segal scored in the second period, while Brad Pawlowski picked up a goal in the third.
The IceGators, who still hold first place in the SPHL standings by six points over Fayetteville, will have an opportunity Saturday to avenge their loss. They take on the IceBears in the Knoxville Civic Center at 7:35 P. M. Eastern Time.
According to Kaminski, it's also an opportunity for IceGator players to prove their worth.
"The boys are playing for a roster spot in the playoffs," Kaminski said. "No one has made it on the roster yet."
"Great teams find a way to respond," Kaminski added. "We need to respond with a big win. We'll soon find out what kind of backbone we have."
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2013
- Ice Flyers Beat Fayetteville 6-5 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- IceBears Maul IceGators - Louisiana IceGators
- Knoxville Swamps Louisiana 6-1 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Whitehead Extends Streak to 11 in 5-1 Victory - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge Get Their Kicks Sunday - Mississippi Surge
- Augusta RiverHawks Sunday, March 10 Home Game Time Shifted - Augusta RiverHawks
- Boyer Leads IceGators to Shootout Victory over RiverHawks - Louisiana IceGators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.