Whitecaps FC 2, Timbers 2 Open Derby Weekend at Providence Park Tonight
After two strong home performances against Tulsa Roughnecks FC and over then top-ranked LA Galaxy II, Whitecaps FC 2 are set to face Cascadia rivals Timbers 2 on Friday evening, serving as a perfect lead-up to the MLS matchup between the two clubs on Sunday.
After defeating the Oregon-based side once already this season, the 'Caps are looking to repeat that success at Providence Park at 7:30 p.m. Looking to watch the match? Check out whitecapsfc2.com for live coverage.
WHITECAPS FC 2
With a win against LA Galaxy II on Sunday, Whitecaps FC 2 continue to show fast development while also finding themselve in the Western Conference top spot with 17 points in just seven games. The team has yet to lose a match this season, and are finding a winning formula with a mix exhilarating prospects and veteran players.
Last week, outside midfielder Alphonso Davies got his name on the score sheet with his first professional goal and became the youngest player to score a goal in USL history, a welcome reward after a stunning match from the 15-year-old. His game and goal also earned him a selection to the USL Team of the Week, alongside captain and team leading goal-scorer Kyle Greig.
[email protected] of @wfc2 is now the youngest player to ever score in the #USL! #VANvLAhttps://t.co/4uMi3pWeRK
- USL (@USL) May 15, 2016
Davies has played in six of seven WFC2 matches this season, and is a fixture in the 'Caps midfield. His speed and movement down the line is making him a difficult man to mark in the attacking end, and he is starting to get more comfortable in the box as well. With two shots and one goal last game, the teenager is showing more confidence up around the net and will be looking to keep his string of good play going this weekend.
Fans should look out to breakout star Kadin Chung, whose crafty play has turned heads this season, and the steady Brett Levis, who opened his 2016 account last week.
Daniel Haber will also be one to watch on Friday, as he not only scored two of three goals against the Timbers last time they met (see highlights on the right), but has also been on a bit of a hot streak recently. The 'Caps striker, who's one of the more experienced on the team, scored the last minute game-winner against Tulsa, and sent a cross box pass through to Greig for the second goal in their match against LA. To date, the native of Toronto has three goals and one assist.
Though Timbers 2 were running off a string of positive matches, a tough 1-0 loss against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on May 13 will have the side focused on getting a win and the essential three points to put them back on track.
Jamaican Neco Brett, on loan from their MLS team, headlines the T2 attack. The striker scored two goals in Portland's match against Real Monarchs SLC on May 7, and has a team-leading tally of 16 shots, with five on goal. A selection in the 2016 SuperDraft for the Timbers, Brett will be a tough man to mark for the Whitecaps FC defence with his speed and eye for goal.
Fellow attacking player Kharlton Belmar has also been a tough player to handle for WFC2 historically, and is on form again this season. In 2015, the striker managed four goals and an assist against the 'Caps through four matches that season. He has yet to score against WFC2 this campaign, but has been doing well offensively through Portland's first nine matches. He leads the team with two goals and two assists, while also providing some attacking grit. With 14 fouls and two yellow cards to his name, he is making his presence known within the Timbers 2 side.
Though they face a tough offensive side, the 'Caps might be able to gain the advantage in the second half. Based on the Timbers 2 record so far, the Oregon side has a tendency to let in second-half goals. Eight of Portland's 11 allowed goals have come in the second half. On the other hand, the 'Caps have scored 11 of their 15 goals within the last 45 minutes. What does this amount to? Hopefully an intense second half for the 'Caps attack, and some goals to boot.
After this weekend, Whitecaps FC 2 face a quick turnaround with a visit to Saint Louis FC on Wednesday, May 25, before coming back to Vancouver for two home matches against Real Monarchs SLC, with the first one on Sunday, May 29.
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
Youth season passes are also available for $30 all in. For more information contact [email protected] or call 604-484-7862.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 20, 2016
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Liverpool FC U21s - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Host Saint Louis Saturday - FC Tulsa
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Sebastien Thuriere Inlcuded in Haiti Squad for Copa America Centenario - San Antonio FC
- League-Leading LouCity Visits Richmond for Saturday Fixture - Louisville City FC
- United Seeks to Keep on Scoring Heading Back into League Play - Phoenix Rising FC
- USL Week 10: Charleston Travels to Wilmington - Charleston Battery
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Hosts OKC Energy FC at Toyota Field on Saturday - San Antonio FC
- Whitecaps FC 2, Timbers 2 Open Derby Weekend at Providence Park Tonight - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Saturday Match Preview- SFC V. AZU - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- RGV FC Toros Prepare to Host Swope Park Rangers - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Preview: Saint Louis FC Set for Tulsa Trip - Saint Louis FC
- Fighting for the Cup, Hammerheads Welcome Battery to ILM - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- FC Montreal Hosts Red Bulls II Saturday at Complexe Sportif Claude-Robillard - FC Montreal
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 9 - USL
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Zach Carroll - New York Red Bulls II
- Orlando City B Hosts Defending USL Champion Rochester Rhinos - Orlando City B
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers Face Rio Grande Valley FC - Sporting Kansas City II
- USL Discipline Report: Week 8 - USL