Westerners Race Past Mainers at Rogers Park
DANBURY - The Mainers ran into a red-hot Danbury Westerners squad looking to bolster their playoff chances with the season continues to wind down. They left nothing to chance in front of their home fans, downing the Moose by a 13-1 score.
Through the first two innings, the two teams could not generate any offense. Mainers starter Brandon Backman (Danbury, Ct./St. John's) had his strikeout stuff working as he fanned four batters in his first turn through the Westerners order. He would punch out three more batters before his time on the mound concluded.
Once the third inning approached, the Danbury lineup found their form. In their next five turns at the dish, they exploded for 13 runs on 18 hits including seven home runs. It did not matter who the Moose put on the mound, the first four to pitch struggled to slow the Westerners down.
The Mainers finally pushed a runner across home plate in the eighth inning. With one out, Connor Tate (Bishop, Ga./Georgia) reached on a throwing error and Erik Stock (Virginia Beach, Va./UConn) doubled to put runners on second and third base. Orlando Adams (Atlanta, Ga./Kentucky) grounded out to shortstop to plate Tate and prevent the dreaded shutout.
The boys in green and yellow are off tomorrow but return to the diamond on Saturday to take on the Newport Gulls. Coverage begins at 6:30 PM from Goodall Park on the Patriot Subaru Sanford Mainers Radio Network powered by the NECBL Broadcast Network. Before then, stay up to date on everything Mainers by visiting sanfordmainers.com and following the team on their social media platforms.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from July 25, 2019
- Westerners Race Past Mainers at Rogers Park - Sanford Mainers
- Bullpen Woes Bite Bay Sox, as They Fall 7-4 to Schooners - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Explosive Seventh Inning Sends Vermont To 12-3 Victory - Vermont Mountaineers
- Haskin Hits Walk-Off for Newport - Newport Gulls
- Five-Run Eighth Inning Sends Moose Past Schooners - Sanford Mainers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sanford Mainers Stories
- Three Former Moose Sign UFA Contracts with MLB Teams
- Curley Named Recipient of David M. Ahern Memorial Scholarship
- Mainers Close out SteepleCats to Finish Season Strongly
- Moose Nearly Miss out on Win in Montpelier
- Mainers Drop Extra-Inning Heartbreaker to Blue Sox